Friday, March 14, 2014

Its all quiet on the western front this morning, (literally, since that is the direction my porch faces). There was an extremely large Red Tailed Hawk or Bald Eagle circleing around overhead which might have something to do with it. There was one fat squirrel sitting on a feeder when I first came out and that was it.

Today is supposed to be another nice one; sunshine and lower 60's. Maybe we'll get a bit more yard work done. The biggest problem is that the flower beds aren't really dry enough from winter freeze yet to not leave footprints. Where there is grass on the yards it is alright. But, we don't want to be stpping on and mudding down any bulbs or plants. Patients grows short at the first signs of spring. Tomorrow, however, is supposed to be a total washout with rain and then Sunday evening they are again saying that nasty "snow" word.

Well now the gang is all arriving. About a dozen Cardinals, my Goldfinches, a pair of Robins, several Junkos, Sparrows, a couple of Titmouse, and a Downy Woodpecker to round out the crew. Its always interesting to see how much smaller they all look in warmer temperature when they don't need to fluff there feathers out for warmth. Even the squirrels look thinner, although there is no way they weigh one ounce less with all the sunflower seed they eat from my feeders. Speaking of feeders, several are once a in empty so I know what one of my tasks will be today.  I see Mr. Mockingbird just showed up. He's late to the party as were the Chickadees.

Today my prayer is a prayer of gratitude for my mother-in-law, Adelia Parton. Bless her heart, she passed away in 2002, but she was a huge influence on her family. She was "Granny" to all of the grandkids and even to great grandkids who never knew her. This sunporch that I sit in everyday is a direct result of money that she had set aside for her girls after she passed away. She absolutely loved to watch her birds too and kept several feeders going outside her kitchen window. All of my critters today get fed in honor of Granny and I suspect she is pleased. She would have loved to sit out here with me, and in reality --- I know she does. So today, I say "Thank you God for putting this wonderful lady in my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment