Thursday, February 9, 2017

It is a bit nippy here in the sunporch this morningThe sliding glass doors have been open all night and are currently but that only helps to a point. After all, the sunporch is made up of two walls that are completely glass, and the other two walls are brick from the exterior of the house. No insulation there to hold down the hot or cold. But, a simple lap robe keeps it nice along with the open sliding glass doors that go into the family room.

Speaking of nippy --- outside it goes way beyond nippy all the way to downright cold. It is 22 degrees at the moment with a stiff wind. The fact that the sun is shining brightly makes it look warmer but isn't doing a lot to warm things up. But --- I don't have anything I need to do outside today so I reckon indoors is a great choice.

We had a great Cantata practice last night although we were missing a few people. We concentrated on one song and got it down to acceptable. It was the last song of the cantata and I thought it was good that we did that. This is a long presentation with a lot of songs. Sometime we end up leaving off the last song because we didn't have time to work on it properly. Ms. Kate and I practiced our parts on some of the songs yesterday here at home. We'll do that some more as it really helps when we get to choir rehearsal.

The sun has crested the roof of the house now and is lighting up the yard beautifully which means that it has brightened up the area around the bird bath. I look forward to that time of day because that is when the cardinals come and sit on the edge of the bird bath and the sun makes their red feathers almost glow. It is a beautiful sight. I've had a steady stream of guests at the buffet this morning. Mockingbirds, cardinals, starlings, titmouse, sparrows, finches, doves, wrens  and woodpeckers have all been here so far this morning. I reckon their natural instincts guide them to eat extra on a day like this so their metabolism keeps going and they don't freeze to death. There is a pair of doves over on the frozen over bird bath pecking away at the ice to get a drink. Meanwhile, the heated one sits there full and fresh with no birds around it. What is the saying; --- "You can lead a bird to a heated birdbath but that doesn't mean it will use it??"

Tomorrow it is supposed to be warmer and we plan to meet Bob and Georgia Ann for lunch at our favorite country tavern. They are celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary today, I think. What a wonderful thing that is. They are such a sweet couple and we love being around them. Georgia Ann's cancer seems to be somewhat at a standstill. She's gaining a pound or two once in awhile and says her appetite has returned a little. We pray for her often, but God will do what is best for her. I pray she will have quality of life life up till the moment she passes. And heck --- that could be long beyond the passing of any of the rest of us. The older I get, the more aware I am of my own mortality.

On a happier subject --- I hope you have a wonderful rest of your week. I hope you wil look around you and recognize God's presence everywhere you look. I certainly see it everywhere; from the beauty that surrounds me outside these windows to the beauty of having a loving wife sitting just another room over at her own computer. God has filled my life with more than I can even know. I can only hope that I haven't wasted too much of the blessings God has provided.

Have a great rest of your week. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment