Friday, April 13, 2018

Rat-a-tat tat. The neighborhood wakes to the sound of hammers going this morning. Someone is having a roof replaced today. I think it is on the ridge on Old State Road. I saw a truck delivering roofing over there yesterday. From the sound of the hammering it sounds like they are using actual hammers instead of nail guns. I’ve done roofing before and enjoyed it. Many years ago my buddy asked me to help him roof a couple of houses. I didn’t think my thumb would ever heal from all of the times I hit it. While it might look easy, and roofing is hard work, —- it is also an art to be learned if you want to not have a flat and bleeding thumb. It is also a business that as a consumer one should check out the contractors before hiring them to do your job. In our area, I’m told by a knowledgeable source, many of the contractors will just hire “day laborers” and they usually find them through parole officers. Therefore, many of the guys working around and on your house are fresh out of jail. Our former next door neighbor to the north of us hired a crew to do his roof and the language coming off of that roof was embarrassing and not what one would want their children hearing. And, that roof has since had to be re-done. The crew that did our roof was a super crew.

This morning is a copy of yesterday morning. The sun is shining and the birds are chirping. It is supposed to get to seventy-seven today before rain sets in tonight. I have a lot of work to do today. I finished getting the yard raked yesterday. Then I went to Lowes and picked up three bags of Scott’s lawn repair mixture. It has grass seed, fertilizer, and soil conditioner to strengthen the roots. It is supposed to work well in shade so we will see. I also picked up two bales of straw to put down on  top of it so it doesn't wash away. I also picked up a yard and a half of mulch to put down. I hope to get it all done but we will see. I might wear out before that. With yards and flower beds, there is always work to be done.

It is Friday the 13th! Does that make you nervous? Are you superstitious? The only thing it means to me is that tomorrow is the 14th. And —- tomorrow is “schrooms and beer” day with Bob and Brenda.  It is Bob’s birthday and we need to celebrate. I think he is turning eighty six. He just became a great-great grandpa the other day. If my grandchildren don’t start getting married soon, we’ll never be great grandparents, let alone double greats.

Time to get busy. Take advantage of the weekend but don’t forget to attend a worship service. We all owe God time set aside for worship and gratitude for the wealth of blessings that we are given every day. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment