Monday, April 9, 2018

It's a fresh new morning, it's a fresh new day, and it's a fresh new week that God has provided for us to find ways to be of benefit both to God's world and God's people. I woke up this morning and the first thing I did was to check out the window to see if we had actually gotten any snow last night. As I was closing up the sun porch last night my weather forecast was predicting rain and snow starting any minute. But, it appears we stayed dry. We can use a little dry weather now for a week or maybe even two.

Saturday Ms. Kate and I went to St. Lucas church in Ft. Branch to help the folks with their chicken pie making day. We made over two hundred pies. My job was to stir the pots as we make the filling for the pies. We were making large kettles to make it, and I think I made seven kettles of it.. Three of us were assigned to do that job and we each had a kettle going most of the time. We catch a break while we were waiting for the broth and water to come to a boil before adding the chicken. Then you stirred again until it came back to a boil, the it was time to add the thickening which was flour and water. It took about seven cups of thickening per kettle so one lady was busy doing that all morning. Once the kettle of filling was thick enough for the wooden spoon to stand up straight by itself, it was ready to hand off to the guys that were filling the pans with a bottom crust in them. From there, they went to the ladies that I call the "Crusty Crimpers" who put a top crust on them and crimped that down. Ms. Kate was a Crusty Crimper again this year. That has been her task every year. The event is such a great social fellowship event  and everybody works hard but at the same time has a really good time. They broke for lunch around noon and that is when Ms. Kate and I took off.

I saw that the birds and the critters have emptied most of the feeders again by this morning. I'll wait until I get back from my office hours this morning to refill all of them. I had to laugh this morning at he neighbor's black cat. It was hiding down among the daffodils waiting on an unwary bird or squirrel. I could see what looked like a black spot sitting just where I couldn't really tell what it was. I opened the back door and bent down and could just see it's eyes looking out. As soon as I did that, it shot out of there and headed home. As the cartoon character used to say; --- "Curses, foiled again!"

While I'm out today I plan to go see my parishioner that had his knee replaced last week. Frankly I was surprised that he didn't show up in church yesterday and his daughter said that they didn't know until the last minute that he had finely decided that maybe he should stay home.

That is about it today. I must get to the office. I hope your weekend was wonderful and I pray your brand new week will be filled with nothing but good things. However, if you do get to feeling that the week is "going south" on ya', just never forget that you are never alone. Stop and ask God for some help and guidance. And, --- if your week is going well, -- stop and give God thanks for that. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment