Saturday, April 14, 2018

No rat-a-tat-tat this morning; no sunshine this morning or gentle breezes. It is sixty four degrees and that will be our high as this cold front with the rain cools everything down. But —- the rain is a gentle rain it still looks very “spring-like” out there. It appears though that with all of the work that I got done yesterday, I forgot to fill bird feeders, Many are low or empty. And we put the hummingbird feeder out yesterday. I don’t expect any hummingbirds any time soon but one never knows. My cousin Debbie said she had her first one yesterday and she is just 150 miles west of us. So I know they have migrated this far north by now. 

I’m very thankful for the rain this morning. We got the back yard seeded and totally covered in straw. The straw will keep not only the birds from eating the seed, but my back yard has a slope to it and the straw will keep the seed from being washed away by the rain. We also got the garden re-worked and the lettuce and beets are planted. So, thank you very much God for the needed rain. What I didn’t get done was putting down my mulch. I got it unloaded from the truck and stacked it up in front of the garage door. I’m hoping that it is sheltered enough to keep it from getting totally soaked. They are only 2cu ft bags but they do get heavy when wet. The young fellow next door is going to help me spread it. I told him I would pay him $10.00 an hour. I also have some other work I’d like him to do. I think he is sixteen and he’s big enough to handle the jobs that I might have for him. And, he’s a good kid. I know I sound like an “old geezer” but in the seventeen years I’ve lived here, not once have I ever had a young kid or teenager come to the door looking for something to do to make a little money. We don’t have an abundance of kids in the neighborhood, bj there are some that ride by on their bikes and skateboards etc. Of course, one of the reasons is tha their parents are too busy taking them to their other activities like baseball, tennis, soccer, dance classes, and football. They don’t put chores on kids because they are too busy running the kids to outside activities. I had my first job and bought my first car at sixteen. Ms. Kate was doing babysitting and she and her sister made money working hard mowing grass and cleaning house for an aunt. I’m cynical I know, but, it seems the only thing kids do these days is walk around with their head down and text on their phones. 

The warmer weather we’ve had these last couple of days has really made the leaves start popping out every where. Ms. Margaret’s flowering crabapple trees is really starting to bloom nicely. We love seeing that tree. It blooms so beautifully. And I’m glad she has it and we don’t. They are a mess of a tree what with the falling soft twigs and branches and the dropping crabapples, no thanks. 

It is “schrooms and beer” day with Bob and Brenda at noon. So I guess I better get busy doing something besides sitting here loving life. Have a wonderful weekend. Count your blessings. I’m sitting here with warm spring like weather this morning and I have friends tha are sitting through blizzard condition yet again two morning up in the Dakotas. Yep, I’m counting my blessings. Peace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment