Friday, May 23, 2014

It is a breezy, sunny sixty three degrees out there this morning. The high today is only to be around eighty and the humidity is back down. We could open the house back up except we get tired of opening and closing it. But, it is supposed to be a beautiful holiday weekend. It will be a great weekend to do a little grilling.

I went out and filled the bark butter feeders again this morning and filled the birdbaths again. I've already had three varieties of Woodpeckers at the bark butter feeders this morning since I filled them. The Starlings will find it momentarily and then the fight will be on.

My bunny is back this morning running here and there. It better find a good place to hide because the Barkingtons are coming this evening and I don't want them dragging a dead bunny back to the house. Their job is to chase, but not catch, squirrels. They don't need to learn multi-tasking.

The roses are looking good this morning. I think Ms. Kate plans to take some to put on family graves for Memorial Day. There was a time in our history that people would go out on Memorial Day and take jugs of water and buckets and brushes and they would spend the time to clean off the grave stones of their loved ones. That was when we called this day "Decoration Day". We would then put fresh flowers, usually peonies and strawflowers on the headstones. If you didn't have flowers of your own, you went to the local open market place or a road side stand and bought several bunches to put on graves. Those were gentler times and a time when life was slower and respect was a word that meant something. I suspect each generation has those times when they miss "the good old days". I wonder what today's kds will consider "the good old days"when they get to a point of looking back.

Today is my "day off". I'm not sure what will be on the schedule. I do know we have to go to the grocery store again today and pick up some stuff we didn't get yesterday. It will be crowded out there though with everyone else getting their last minute weekend supplies too.

My prayers are once again prayers of thanksgiving for the myriad of blessings in my life. I also pray for a larger ration of patience today. I'm running a little short in that department in a specific incident in my life. I could use the calming hand of the Holy Spirit resting on my shoulder to deal with this person. Life is too short and too precious to was it in anger. So Lord, back up the dump truck, I got a load to be hauled away.

  • There is a eautiful Cardinal now sitting on a feeder not ten feet from me. My prayer was heard. I hope you have a wonderful day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment