Thursday, April 13, 2017

Welcome to Maundy Thursday. This is a day that I personally feel we don't clarify very well in our churches. Many denominations don't celebrate it at all. Within my denomination the day includes an evening worship service with Holy Communion because it is the celebration of the "Lord's Supper" or as also called, "The Last Supper" because it is the last meal that Jesus, the Son of God would eat in human form. You'll recall he did eat with his disciples again after his resurrection.

But, beyond the sharing of the meal with his disciples, Jesus taught his disciples, (including us) the true meaning of servant hood. He took a wash basin and a towel and he washed the feet of each of his disciples. This was a job reserved for the lowest of the low ranking servants in a household and yet The Son of God demonstrated that he would go to that level to serve mankind and that none of us are above that duty. We know of course, that the evening ends with one of those same disciples betraying Jesus to the authorities and for the next several hours he would be dragged from place to place and tried, and convicted, and whipped and beaten to a bloody pulp and then nailed to a cross as a troublemaker for Rome and an enemy to the established religion. And so, --- when you take communion this evening you are symbolically participating in the Body and the Blood of Jesus; the ultimate sacrifice being paid to assure your salvation. This is a Holy day.

I started my morning off by getting outside and filling up all of my feeders. I had just finished filling the bark butter feeder when the Pilated Woodpecker flew in and grabbed some breakfast. That was pretty cool. Since I have finished and come in, the rest of the usual gusts are enjoying the buffet and spa too. The Cardinals were the first ones in the pool (bird bath) this morning after I got them both scrubbed and re-filled. Then came the Robins, and next were a couple of starlings. I'll have to go out and refill them again because of all of the splashing and thrashing around that partly emptied the bird baths.

I think I can safely take a few of the planters out of the sunporch now and set them kind of back in a corner on the patio where they won't get too much wind and won't be in danger should we get a last frost. I also think that today I will try an till the garden area and dig out the okra stalks from last year. Those thing have big roots and I have to use a grubbing hoe to get them out.

That's my plans --- we'll see what ends up being my reality. In the meantime --- you go have yourself a great day. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. And so, --- when you take communion this evening you are symbolically participating in the Body and the Blood of Jesus; the ultimate sacrifice being paid to assure your salvation. This is a Holy day. What I find interesting, according to my Catechism, is that everyday should be a Holy Day and walk in the way of Christ. Peace, Love, Forgiveness...the last being so important to the health of one's heart. The greatest sin is the sin of disbelief...and that the love of money, not money alone, is evil. Greed, envy and jealousy are direct paths to issues of the eternal soul and harmful to personal health in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete