Wednesday, July 22, 2020

It’s “Hump Day, — whoot, whoot”.  It is quiet here at the Backyard Buffet this morning. I don’t if it is the heat or the fact that I have moved feeders around so drastically. Even the “bark butter bits” feeders are being emptied more slowly. But then I haven’t had the gaggle of blackbirds that I normally have for the past couple of days. I think that is because the corn is beginning to ripen out in the fields and they are “going out” for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It must be nice, we haven’t been out since March.

It is a tad cloudy this morning yet but the sun is starting to break through and then the heat and humidity will soar. Last night one of our channels weather reporter had the humidity report with three categories: “pleasant”, “sticky”, and “gross”. This whole week will be gross. It is just the kind of weather that makes the corn grow and hopefully makes the tomatoes ripen. My plants are full of tomatoes but so far all I have gotten is a few cherry tomatoes. The others are being lazy and not ripening. But the cucumbers are doing well and so is the okra.

We were busy yesterday which is why I never got around to writing. Ms. Kate had an appointment to get a permanent from her beautician, and then we decided to go to the orchard to get some fresh peaches. We picked up twenty pounds of “seconds” and they taste great. Today we will be making peach pies and will freeze some peaches if there are peaches left over. The season is short and we do like our peaches all year long. I also have a message out to our local produce stand to see about getting some sweet corn to freeze. We used to be very blessed that our friend Bob would just give us whatever corn we wanted to put up. It became affectionately known as “Bob corn” and was a favorite of all of us. But Bob is past the age of planting corn, so we needed to find A new source. It is about 30 miles one way to the farm stand, but they are members of the church family so, ya’ do what ya’ gotta do, and their corn is really good.

This Sunday I get to do another infant baptism. I always love it when I can do those. And, I should have another one in about a month. This is good stuff. It gives me hope that the small church will have a future for many years to come.

I guess that is about it for today. Stay cool, stay safe, stay in touch with God. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment