Thursday, March 5, 2020

And a blessed Thursday morning to you too! It’s 43 degrees and on its way up to the low 60’s today. I see the Backyard Buffet guests only took two days to empty the feeders again, so I guess I’ll put that on my list of things to do today. It’s a good thing I went to Wild Birds on Tuesday afternoon and picked up some more stuff. I had started to fill feeders on Monday afternoon and found out that I was out of Bark Butter paste. I had a good 20% off coupon so it was a good time to go in. Of course, you know I didn’t just stop with what I went in for. LOL. By the time I left, the bag was heavy and the wallet was empty.  But, it is nice to be able to go out and fill the feeders without worrying too much about mud.

Yesterday was “office day” at the churches. Ms. Kate went with me and we spent the day together. We got the bulletins run and stuffed and the pulpit etc. set up for Sunday. Then we went to our favorite restaurant for lunch. I had texted the owner on Tuesday and asked her if she was going to have coconut meringue pie like she had posted a picture of a few days ago. Well bless her heart, she had it waiting for us when we got there and it was delicious of course. We have been going to this place since she opened and her food is really good, but her customer service and friendliness is superb. She is such a supporter of her little town and of small businesses too. Her gesture with the pie was just so very typical of her and her entire staff.

After lunch, we went back to the office and I spent some time and finished up my March 22nd sermon and then started working on the study guide for a Bible Study that I’ve told you about. I’ve read this book twice and I find it amazing how there are questions in the study guide that I have to go back and read the passages again in order to answer the question. But ya’ know, that’s why I like Bible Study with an emphasis on the word study. I know folks that will tell me that they have read the Bible from beginning to end X number of times. Generally they will have a list of favorite verses that they can rapidly refer to. But,, that’s not me. First of all, I think if you just sit down and read the Bible  from end to end like a novel, I don’t think you are going to really get anything out of it. I like to take my time and cross reference this passage with that passage and look at why something was written a certain way and how does it apply to me and my situation or question. That’s probably why it takes me so long to actually write my sermons. The gospels are very much repetitive of one another and in fact are word for word in many cases; but —- each one was written for a different purpose and from somewhat of a different slant. So, if we are going to “learn our Bible” and use it as a guide for our life, we need to carefully study and compare passages and situations as depicted in the words.

Well, that was a rabbit trail wasn’t it?  Time for me to get off my duff and get busy. Have a most pleasant day. Trust Good, walk with Christ, and be kind to all you see. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment