Saturday, August 25, 2018

Good morning on this bright and beautiful Saturday morning. It looks extremely pleasant out side although my thermometer via Accuweather says is it is eighty three already. There is a nice breeze that is keeping the leaves onthe trees moving. And it must be a good day for the finches to take a bath. I had nine sitting around the edge of the bird bath earlier all taking turns with their splashing and splashing.

What shall I do with my time today? For one thing, I need to refill the bird feeders again. Several of them are empty and I need to go get 80 pounds (two bags) of sunflower seed and fill the can back up. I have had it sitting outside upside down to air out and dry out for about a week now. My second and smaller can that I keep up here by the back door is still half full and I’ll empty it before I start on the other new stuff. The niger seed feeders are empty and so is the gazebo safflower feeder that the cardinal love. That is the one feeder that I have managed to pretty much “squirrel proof”. It sits on top of a six foot 4X4 wooden post and I wrapped aluminum flashing around the top two feet of it just below a baffle. There has been one or two that have braved it but they generally end up cutting themselves on the sharp edges of the flashing and I guess have decided it wasn’t worth the pain involved. At first I’d find where blood had dripped down the flashing, but not in the last two or three years. Once in a while I’ll see a young squirrel go up the first two or three feet of the wooden pole, but then they get to the flashing and jump back off. Besides, I only put safflower seed in that one and they’re don’t like it.

I have a little yard work that I want to do today, and I might just mow the front yard  to trim it off for the weekend and make it look smooth. I know I have a bunch of weedeating that I could do with the trimmer. And, I might just do a little work on repairing a yard bench that I swore I was going to fix two or three years ago. The wood on it has totally rotted out and I bought the lumber to fix it a long time ago. It has been one of those “some day” projects that a person never get to. —- Then again, maybe I’ll just sit and read some Stephen King for a change.

I have a couple of wrens sitting out here singing a song to me and all of the feeders are hosting guests  looking for food. I guess I better go be productive. Tomorrow is Sunday and let’s all take time to stop our lives and give thanks for yet another week of blessings received. I’ll pray for you, and would ask that you remember me in your thoughts and prayers. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment