Monday, July 3, 2017

Monday morning, July 3rd! We are home from our wonderful vacation and all of our kids made it home safely. Now we are all back to reality and looking forward to the next time we caan all get together again. We plan these thing for two years apart and right now 2019 seems so very far away, and I also know the family dynamics with children maturing and finding jobs etc. And --- the family is ready to go somewhere besides Tennessee next time. So, the search starts now. Maybe somethng coastal next time. As long as there is something to do and see besides the ocean rolling in. I will say though, everyone loved the cabin and it's location. There is a lot of stuff to do in the Gatlinburg area. But I suspect that in a couple of years, the like and dislikes of those kind of things will change too. It is amazing how much things that I loved to do five years ago, are either no longer of interest or I've gotten more out of shape and am no longer able to do them. In the year 2019 I'll be 75 years old and my sense of excitement will have changed too.

Of course when I got home all of the bird feeders and bird baths were empty. So, being a good host, I filled all of the feeders and the bird baths before I poured my first cup of coffee. So far this morning, my only steady guests have been the squirrels. I've had one or two Downy Woodpeckers, a robin, a hummingbird and a couple of Goldfinches too but that is all. The word will get out that the buffet is back open and stocked before long.

The phlox, butterfly bush, and geraniums are about all that is blooming these days. All of those are great for drawing in the bees and the butterflies. Our handi-couple, Chris and Cheryl have finished with everything we had on the list. The fence now has two coats of paint on it and looks beautiful. They got all of the bush and tree trimming done and painted the chimney. My back yard now looks like a small park. They really do great work and they are nice people to deal with.

So today, Ms. Kate and I will catch up the laundry and finish putting away stuff from the trip. I'm waiting for the mail to come today because Heather and John bought me a new laptop that is to be delivered today. My afternoon will be spent setting that up.

Tomorrow is the 4th of July. Ms. Kate and I will stay home and fuss about all of the fireworks that will be going off around the neighborhood. It was bad enough last night. We have no desire to get out in the traffic and crowds to go and watch the fireworks shows downtown on the Ohio River.  Been there, done that many times. We'll just sit home and enjoy our freedom and give thanks to God that we live in a country that isn't run by an oppressive government. We'll spend the day being grateful for the men and women that have served their country and the many who have died to preserve the freedoms we enjoy. I was honored to be able to spend 32 years dedicating my family's lives to the sacrifices and rigor required for me to be a professional military office. The honest truth is that they sacrificed much more than I did and I love them for it and am grateful to them. I also give thanks to God that unlike so very many of my comrades in arms, I was able to complete my duty without and physical harm. My prayers go out to all of those men and women who come home missing arms and legs and other physical and mental scars and injuries. May God grant them peace.

Have a blessed day./

No comments:

Post a Comment