Wednesday, July 5, 2017

It's the 5th of July and my thoughts go back fifty years today. It was fifty years ago today that our oldest daughter, Julie, was born and was also one of the tests for a young married military couple. I had brought Ms. Kate back to Indiana and she was living with her parents until she could find a place of her own. We had hoped that Ms. Kate would deliver while I was still home in Evansville but that was not to be, She delivered four days after I returned to Yreka California to await shipment overseas to the Philippines for an unaccompanied 18 month tour. Thankfully my unit commander authorized me emergency leave to fly back to Evansville for 15 days so I could see our new baby Julie and be there for her baptism. I had to borrow $125.00 from my parents just to get back to my unit in California. Because of delays in shipment, it would be almost 22 months before I saw Ms. Kate and Julie again and during that time, we had the luxury of only one short phone call. This was 1967-69, decades before social media and unlimited phone service. That one phone call cost us most of a paycheck. Now, deploying troops have instant contact with any and all of their loved ones back home. They can visit as if they were simply across town. I don't mean to diminish the service of our folks today at all. God bless them and I'm thankful for them. But that one phone call that was such a luxury to us, was a blessing that today's young people can't even fathom.

It is a warm and muggy morning. The temperature is 78 degrees and the humidity is already at 86%. We are expecting rain this afternoon. It's great weather for the corn in the fields but not so great to be working outside, especially with asthma. Thankfully I got my mowing done yesterday. I do need to go out and pick tomatoes this morning.

The backyard buffet is a busy place this morning. The cardinals, blackbirds, woodpeckers, wrens, goldfinches, titmouse, and squirrels have all been here at one time or another. The bluebird was here a couple of times too which brightened up my day. I would love it if they would occupy my bluebird house but that hasn't happened. I don't know where they nest. But I'm always glad to see them.

The evening air was full of booms and bangs up until about midnight last night as people fired off their fireworks in celebration of the 4th of July. It is amazing how much money people spend on doing that, especially considering that every town has one or more public fireworks displays. But, it's their business, not mine. I'm just glad I don't have PTSD or a pet to worry about with all of the booms and bangs and the smell of gun powder in the air.

The stargazer lilies are in bloom out in the back yard and I think I will stop here and walk out and smell them. The smell is almost breath taking and they are so very beautiful. They are just another one of God's blessings sitting out there in my yard waiting to be recognized and enjoyed. Until next time, I pray you will have a wonderful week and will feel the wonderful peace that comes from God who loves you so very much. Shalomn.

No comments:

Post a Comment