Friday, July 28, 2017

I don't know what is going on out there in the trees and the fire bushes; but the squirrels have something going on. They are bouncing and jumping through the branches and the limbs look like springboards as they leap from one to another. It is very interesting to watch and even more amazing that the branches don't break. It is amazing that they land on the thinnest branches with force and they don't fall. Obviously there is a community game of tag going on, or, --- civil war has been declared between the clans.

It rained last night quite a bit, although I don't know how much. It was another "good rain", fairly slow and steady.  The good thing is that we didn't have any of the storms that were predicted although I know other parts of the country did get them. But today it is mostly cloudy and "cool" (relatively speaking) and the humidity has dropped considerably. All in all we are supposed to have a good weekend.

Julie, Jim and the pups are coming over this evening and spending the weekend. We have a few things planned like going to the farm stand and the butcher shop and I think we may be going bowling. We haven't done that in a decade. Jim is a really good bowler and usually scores well up in the 200's. I like to bowl and I used to bowl on Squadron teams while I was in the military. I was never a good bowler but the guys felt obligated to let the Commander play too; and I was always good for handicap. But, if I rolled a 140, that was about as good as it got. My biggest problem was always that I would get aggravated at myself and then I'd "over-correct" what I thought I was doing wrong and that made it worse. That's also why I never play golf. I don't have the patience.

The buffet is empty on all fronts. I didn't fill the feeders yesterday and they really cleaned out every single feeder. Today and been a ground feeding day and the ground has been teeming with birds of all kinds and sizes. Robins, sparrows, house finches, cardinals, starlings, grackels, wrens and doves are all out there cleaning up residual that has come to the surface of the grass after the rain. I'm glad to let them have at it and I'll wait until this evening to fill my feeders. So in fact, the buffet is still there, it is just on the ground. Even the squirrels are eating sunflower seeds from the ground. Good on them.

Time to start my day and quit sitting around. We need to go to the bank and to the grocery, and I need to check my can and see what I may need from the bird food store. I hope your day is blessed and I hope you have a wonderful end to your week. Don't forget to attend your house of worship. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment