Monday, September 5, 2016

Monday morning and a Happy Labor Day to you. I expect there will be a lot of backyard grills going today around the country and a lot of people returning home from an extended weekend. I pray for safe travels for each and every one of them.

My Labor Day gets to start by doing a funeral. We had a young man pass away Friday night and I got called Saturday about doing the funeral this morning. Of course I said yes but it is just another reason that retirement sounds good. It was another lost couple of days off and another holiday that we couldn't go anywhere. After forty four years of that schedule --- yeh, I'm tired. But, --- there are lots of people that never get a holiday off and never get to take vacations so in reality I guess I should quit grousing and just count blessings.

My prayers are certainly with the family that lost the son I'm burying today. He was a 34 year old "man/child". He has required 24/7 care all of his life by his parents because of cerebral palsy. He wasn't expected to live beyond seven years of age. There is going to be such a huge void in their lives now and I suspect it is going to be difficult adjusting to not having to take care of his every need. In my conversations with them yesterday, their love for him was overflowing and not a hint of regret about a single moment. They could only talk about the good times and the things that made him happy. God sent this child to the right parents.

We have finally reached those hot & dry days of summer where there is more dust than dew. I didn't mow my back yard last week and I most likely won't have to mow it again this week. I did mow my front yard and Dan's yard on Saturday afternoon. It really needed it. The leaves are about 50% gone now from the pussy willow tree and many of the leaves are turning yellow and will be starting to drop before too long. As we drive around we see the the corn in the fields is really turning dry now and harvest will begin soon. This coming Saturday morning Ms. Kate and I are hosting the farmers and their families of the parish for our ninth annual Harvest Breakfast. We do this every year as a way to get the harvest season off to a good start with prayer and thanksgiving for God's blessings and to pray for a safe harvest. It has always been well received and we generally have about thirty people there. Ms. Kate works her tail off but the folks seem to really appreciate it.

I need to get ready and go do my funeral. I pray your day will be more pleasant than that. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment