Monday, September 26, 2016

Cloudy with a few showers this morning but we've had a wonderful, beneficial, dust settling rain over night. I haven't checked the rain gauge but the bird bath certainly is fuller than it was. It is supposed to shower on and off most of the morning which is fine because this is all ushered in by a cold front. The weather folks say that our temperatures will be in the mid to upper 70's this week and the lows will be from 48 -55 degrees at night. That sound like perfect weather to me.

We have a lot of bird activity this morning with birds of all kinds here. And -- the squirrel is raising a fuss which tells me that cat must be back in the yard. The squirrel was on a feeder and suddenly it ran up a tree and is now sitting there fussing on a limb watching something. I have a lot of cardinals at the moment, maybe fifteen or so.

It has been a good weekend. We had good attendance at both churches. After church was over and I had my lunch, I went back to the church and ran my bulletins for next week.  Some of the farmers are still out in the field bringing in crops but the corn harvest is starting to wind down. Next it will be the soy beans that need to be brought in. One can always tell when they are harvesting soy beans because of the large trail of dust that is behind the combine. I had a text and picture the other day from Brenda, our organist at St. Lucas, of the discing and harrowing equipment she was pulling behind her tractor. She may be one of the hardest working women I know. She works full time as a nurse; she farms with her husband, she plays the church organ beautifully, she spends way too much time baby sitting for her nine grandkids, and she spends a lot of time helping her mom and dad. She has earned her angel wings a thousand time over.

Back to her farming --- I would love to do that once again but farming equipment is so complicated I wouldn't know where to begin. It has sure changed since I was a kid and doing the discing and plowing for my dad back in the late 50's and early 60's. And, I can't imagine what my grandpa would think about today's farming equipment. I had an uncle that actually used a horse team to work the fields and garden up.

By this afternoon, the rain should be gone and maybe the leaves on the sidewalk will be dry enough to clean the walks and rake the leaves out into the yard so I can mulch them up again. If I don't do it today, I'll do it tomorrow. I'm kind of stalling about going back down to my office and writing. I have an idea rumbling around in my head for a sermon but it hasn't fully formed yet with a logical progression. So, I'm letting it just work its way out to where I can put it on paper. I'm not in a hurry because I'm good for the next couple of weeks with sermons already written.

So, time for me to drop off of here. Neighbor Dan and I are going to lunch today at a Mongolian BBQ place.. I don't know why they call it BBQ because there is nothing BBQ about it. But, I like the place so who cares why they call it BBQ. I hope your day is bright with the Holy Spirit and you remember to stay in touch with the Lord. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment