Monday, September 12, 2016

It is finally Monday and my calendar says I have nothing on the schedule today. That is a first in several days. We've been a couple of busy folk for the past several days preparing for the Harvest breakfast. We had that on Saturday morning and it went very well. I think we had close to forty people, maybe a few more. Ms. Kate fixed eggs to order, hashbrowns, milk gravy, sausage links, biscuits, and "monkey bread", along with coffee, milk, and orange juice. Everyone enjoyed it and it got he harvest off to a great start.

Yesterday we had a special day at church as we brought in a new member to the roles at St. Lucas. The fellow has been going to our church for 12 years but he was raised Catholic and he married a girl from our church. In fact they were the second wedding I performed twelve years ago. Their children attended Catholic school for several years so he maintained his standing in his church. Now the kids have moved on to public school he has finally joined our church and we are glad to have him as a member. He already does a lot of our church.

It is an absolutely beautiful morning; 63 degrees, sunny without a cloud, and only going up to 83 today. It is a perfect fall day. I should get off my bum and do some outside work but I am in the middle of a sermon and need to finish that before I lose what thought process I had going late last night. It was one of those sermons that I had a hard time starting on and I need to finish it. Too often I get a an idea for a sermon when I'm driving or something and I don't write it down. Then when it comes time to actually put something on paper --- I can't begin to remember what that brilliant thought was. I'm quickly drawing to a close on sermon writing. I think I have only nine more to put on paper.

Our little black and white buddy was here again last night outside the door in the flowerbed. I had put the egg shells from the harvest breakfast in that flowerbed to add calcium to the soil. I guess Lil' Stinker decided that it needed to check all of that out. I know that skunks will get into chicken houses and eat the eggs so I guess it makes sense that it would be attracted to the oder coming off of those shells.

The hummingbirds, the goldfinches, and cardinals are all here this morning so they are adding beauty to my back yard. The backyard could use some fresh color now. The grass is brown, the trees are losing their color and or are in transition from green to a dull yellow and brown. There are a few purple blossoms left on the phlox but most of them have fallen off too. But the hummingbirds are making them for every bit of nectar they can get out of them.

Time to pour another cup of coffee and then get busy. I pray your day will be a blessed one. I lift up those friends and family who are are on my personal prayer list. I know God heard me the first time --- but it doesn't keep me from reminding God that I still care. Have a most wonderful day. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment