Saturday, July 23, 2016

Ms. Margaret's mowing crew is out early this morning trying to beat the heat I reckon, although it is already 81 degrees this early in the morning. I think she has a different crew this week. They appear to be a family outfit; a dad and a teenaged girl, maybe 13 years old and an teenaged boy about the same age and they are using self propelled walk behinds. Their dad is using the weed eater. I can't remember the last time I saw young kids out mowing lawns. It's actually a very refreshing sight. And, they are making quick work of Ms. Margaret's yard.

The heat wave is back on again today. Yesterday we had a spot of relief because it rained all day on and off. That kept the heat down. This heat and humidity is supposed to last through Sunday evening and then it's back to more darn rain etc. I don't think my yard has really dried out yet this summer because it rains every two or three days. I know I certainly haven't quit mowing grass yet and neither has anybody else around here.

There isn't much activity in the backyard buffet this morning. It has been very sporadic with mostly sparrows, finches and a wren or two. There are a couple of cardinals out there but they are just sitting and trying to stay cool I think. A couple of butterflies are the only constant motion today. I haven't even had a squirrel here this morning.

I need to go pick up my truck this morning. I decided to go ahead and let them fix both windows since they already had the vehicle. Then I'm going to take it to the car wash and get it cleaned up. It has been a long time since I had that done and the inside of the windshield really has a lot of whatever that film is that clouds them up. I think it is just "exhaled stale air" that collects on them. But, everytime I try to clean them I just streak them up because my arms are too short to really reach it and do a good job. I also have to go to the hardware store and get a one gallon sprayer. We have some but they have all had poison in them and I need one to mix up a batch of "Stop Rot" to spray on my tomatoes. All of this wet weather causes them to get leathery and rot at the bottom. It is a lack of calcium in the plants that does that.  You spray it directly on the plants and the calcium is absorbed through the leaves. It is good for the squash and cucumbers too.

Ms. Kate and I went to the 10:15 pm movie last night to see the new Star Trek movie. I've been a Trekkie since 1965 when the first series started. We got home around 0100 hrs. And, we didn't really get to bed any later than we normally do.

That's my Saturday. What are you going to do with yours? Hopefully you'll get time to relax and rest and take advantage of a Sunday church service somewhere and refresh your soul. C' ya' on Monday I hope. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment