Thursday, July 21, 2016

July 21st; --- Mr. Larry Sullivan's birthday! And just who is that -- you might ask? Larry was a civilian employee who worked for me back in the 1988 - 1990 time frame. He was a retired Air Force   MSgt and he ran the information security program for me. I only remember his birthday because it was the day after mine. So --- Happy Birthday Larry, where ever you may be. Isn't it strange the things we remember??

The backyard buffet has been busy this morning. Mr. Pilated Woodpecker, (I'm calling him "Woody") has been back everyday this week, sometimes twice a day. I'm really pleased at that. What I am not pleased about is a danged starling that sat there and destroyed a feed cylinder. It sat out there just gobbling as fast as it could, pecking away at it until the cylinder broke in half and fell on the ground. Then it just flew away. It was pecking put large chunks trying to get to certain pieces that it liked best I guess. It reminded me of my middle daughter Heather and how she used to do a pizza; pick though what she wanted and leave the rest. But, the rest of that cylinder certainly won't go to waste. The wrens and cardinals will eat it and what they don't eat, a squirrel or some other critter will. But --- all of the birds seem especially hungry today. Maybe they are eating early before the heat really kicks in today. It is supposed to get to 111 degrees heat index. Maybe they are eating now and will be hiding in the shade later, --- just a guess.

We didn't go run the bulletins yesterday like we normally do on Wednesday. Instead we enjoyed my birthday. We were supposed to go out to a certain tavern for lunch with our best friends but they were both sick. We go to this place because they have the best deep fried mushrooms. So, we went by ourselves for the mushrooms. Then we went to O'Charley's for lunch because it was "Free Pie Wednesday". Lunch was good but they have quit selling their peach pie which was my favorite. So we each had a piece of lemon that will now be my new favorite when I go there. Next we went to Lowe's and bought a new arbor to go over our mailbox. The one I made fifteen years ago needs to be torn down because it looks so bad. After that, we came home and Ms. Kate made me a peach pie because I hadn't been able to have some earlier. That woman is just a walking love bug!!!

So, --- that means we need to go run bulletins today and get that done. I also need to mow the back yard but that can wait another day or two. Oppressive heat and humidity and I just don't get along.

Now that I have written about it --- I'm hungry for it; so you go have yourself a most wonderful day and I'm going to go have another cup of coffee and a piece of peach pie. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment