Thursday, July 7, 2016

It is 1400 in the afternoon and Ms. Kate and I are sitting in the sunroom in the middle of a severe storm watching it pour and blow and thunder like crazy. Should we be maybe in the basement ---- perhaps. But here we are, --- trusting God will take care of us and looking at the radar that says the severe portion of this storm will be short lived. There isn't a lot of lightening with this storm and that is a good thing. We have really had enough rain to last us for awhile but we are also fortunate that it hasn't been worse. Sixty five miles south of us in Madisonville, KY had major flooding last night from this same storm series. So, I give God my gratitude for our blessings and protection.

Ms. Kate and I had a busy morning. She had a beauty appointment this morning at 0900 to get her hair trimmed so I went along and went across the street to my barbershop and got my hair cut. Then we went and did some banking, then we had pedicures done. After that it was time for brunch so we went to Denny's for our meal. By then it was time to come on home.

For my personal news --- last evening I met with the combined councils of my two churches and I tendered my resignation as their pastor. It is a very bittersweet moment for us. I have been there for twelve years. But, I decided about six months ago that it was time for me to quit working. In two weeks I will be 72 years old. After thirty two years in the Air Force, two years of training to be a licensed minister, twelve years in the pulpit, --- I'm tired. I love the people of the parish and they have accepted us as family since the day I started there, But even the best things must come to an end at some point. So, my last service and sermon will be November the 28th, 2016. After that I will no longer be a mnister at all. Certainly --- I could maintain my standing as a licensed minister and do occasional "supply or fill-in" work, but that would totally defeat the purpose. So, --- I will just simply be retired and on a permanent vacation. The hardest part is that by rule, we must "divorce" ourselves from the members of the parish and we are going to miss them terribly. I reckon we are going to have to find ourselves a church to attend come December.

What am I / we going to do with ourselves? Well, we're going to get back into geocaching, we're planning some "day-trips", I'm currently four Stephen King books behind, and I may try my hand at writing. Many years ago I wrote several short stories that aren't too bad but could use a lot of work. I'm thinking I need to get those back out and re-write them. They were written on a Brother Word processor to begin with so I will be starting all over again. I think it will be fun.

I said the storm would be short lived and it was. There is still some light rain happening but the thunder and wind stuff has passed. My best clues are that the birds are back out and singing. The squirrels have come back out of hiding and peace reigns in the back yard. Thank you Lord for good things.

Have a blessed day my friends and keep us in your prayers as we plan for our next adventures. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment