Monday, May 25, 2015

Somewhere out there close a squirrel is raising a fuss about something or someone. I'm not sure but it sounds like another squirrel war is about to break out in the trees around the yard. They are entertaining to watch as they chase one another through the tree tops and through the yards and over my roof. For a couple of days it has sounded like a herd of horses running back and forth across my roof and I have broken ends of branches laying around my yard from them jumping from branch to branch  breaking off tips of branches in the process. They may look cute but squirrels are highly territorial, vicious little boogers and are nothing more than a fuzzy tailed rat.

Today is Memorial Day; a day dedicated to honoring those who have died while fighting for our country and the freedom's they gave their lives to preserve and protect. There will be an Honor Guard ceremony at each of my churches cemetery. That routine will happen at cemeteries and memorials all around the nation. It is a proper tribute to our fallen heroes.

Memorial Day is also the "offical start" to summer. Were I still a military commander, I would have given my required summer safety briefing last Friday before the start of the three day weekend. Its funny, the things one remembers; I could give that briefing today in my sleep. It is raining today which will dampen many picnics and
Qalso make the roads more unsafe as people over estimate their abilities and under estimate their blood alcohol level. My prayer this morning is for safe passage for all.

Our Pentecost Sunday services went well. The choir at St. Lucas did a really nice job of singing their anthem. Now they will have the summer off and we won't have choir practice until probably the last week of August. We will begin our summer worship schedule on the 7th of June. That will be three months of combined worship services, alternating location each Sunday between the two churches. I am trying to line up some people to play musical solos or sing solos or duets as something special for music at our summer services. While I am getting resistance, --- no one has actually said "no" to me yet. God gives people so much talent and ability and yet they hold back the display of that ability because they are afraid they "aren't good enough" or they are embarassed. I have the same problem generating a list of people to be the liturgist on Sunday. At St. Paul's I have two ladies who alternate doing it and at St. Lucas, I have only three or four who will do it. It's just reading out loud: I don't come close to understanding the problem. But, I'm grateful for those who serve. I think it truly enhances the service when others join in and participate.

I lift up both Ms. Kate and oldest daughter Julie this morning in my prayers. Both are having health issues that I pray will pass quickly. I also lift up prayers of gratitude once again for my life that is overwhelmed with blessings. God has granted me peace and a loving wife, and three wonderful daughters whom we love dearly. I ask for patience and guidance in dealing with other issues and people in my life. I also pray that you will have a blessed day. Yesterday we celebrated the Holy Spirit. I urge you to allow that Spirit to guide your life. God is good, --- all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment