Friday, May 22, 2015

It is a brilliantly beautiful morning as I bring my coffee cup out to the sunporch. I was outside for a few moments earlier as I took the mail out to the box and because I was on the east side of the house and fully in the sun, it really felt much warmer than the 55° it actually is. On days like this, the secret cowboy in me would love to be able to throw a saddle on a horse and go riding across open fields for a few hours. I was fortunate enough to get to go on a couple of cattle drives many, many years ago when I was stationed up in northern California near the Oregon border. I have cherished that experience and still think of the Clement family that invited me to join in and help them. What a great rememberance that is.

Today is Ms. Kate's aunt's 89th birthday. We will go out and wish her a happy birthday after a bit. Unfortunately it won't be a happy birthday for her. She had a stroke about six months ago and is confined to a wheelchair or her bed for the rest of her life. In her mind, her best birthday present would be death. We truly hate to see her in this condition and since our lives are continued at God's will and for God's purpose, she could easily sit there in that condition for another ten years. Our gift to her is our prayers for peace of mind and soul.

Most of my feeders are still full or reletively full. The red headed woodpecker has been out here most of the morning. There is all kinds of suet and bark butter there for him today and it flits from one to another like a kid in a candy shop. There are lots of cardinals here this morning and several robins. I've only seen my baby bunny once in the past couple of days. I hope a hawk hasn't gotten them. My squirrels have yet to show up today too. I don't even see them up in the surrounding trees. It would be nice to think they were gone for good; but we know that isn't going to be the case. --- whoops; I spoke too soon. The first one just got here.

This is the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. It is a week early this because this coming Monday is the last Monday of May. This holiday is dedicated to honor all of our men and women who have given their lives to ensure our freedom for this country. I give God thanks for their service and sacrifice, and I am pround to have served with them for 32 years. I also give thanks to the families that sent husbands, wives, sons and daughters off to wars and conflicts, never to see them alive again. I give God thanks for my family that waited here at home while I was off on the other side of the world serving my country. I also give God thanks for God's protecting hand as I served. God has truly blessed this nation and God has truly blessed me and my family. Occasionally I have people come up to me and say "Thanks for your service". I appreciate their comments. I was honored to serve. Have a blessed and safe holiday weekend.

1 comment: