Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tomorrow morning we will put the suitcases in the car and head back home. Our vacation time has come to a close. I'm hoping for a rain free day for the trip. I have fifty two miles of narrow, hilly back roads to travel before we get to interstate; then there is Columbus, Cincinatti, and Louisville to drive through, none of which is fun in rain. I'll be glad to get back to Gibson and Vanderburgh County, Indiana where the roads are flat and a traffic jam is a John Deere combine going down the road. Boy--- am I sounding old, or what?

If anyone asks me if they should travel here to Holmes County, Ohio, --- I'd have to tell them that I don't think it is worth the trip. Yes, our cabin here is nice and the scenery was nice but none of it was really overwhelming. I got out into the local shops today with Ms. Kate. She found some stuff that she "needed", but most of the stuff I saw could easily be found in any flea market. If it was Amish made, it must have been made by the Amish Orders from Mexico, China, and Taiwan. I wasn't impressed. But then, I wasn't looking to buy anything either.

I've also been disappointed in the lack of good Amish pastries. We saw none of the cakes and pies and breads that we see in northern Indiana or even over in Washington Indiana. I was really looking forward to that too.

I know it sounds like I have complained about every aspect of the trip and perhaps I have; but the great part of taking the trip was just that; --- taking the trip. Perhaps we would have enjoyed it more had it not rained every day. But just the fact that we were together was enough to make the trip enjoyable. Ms. Kate and I have always been each other's best company. We aren't big "crowd people" and at a party, you'll generally see her and me standing together. It has been that way since June 16th, 1962 when we had our first date. We are just like an old team of horses, one doesn't function well without the other.

I need to close with my offerings of gratitude to God for the blessings of the week and the continuous flow of blessings into my life. I again ask for safe travels as we head out onto the road. I offer prayers of thanks for the people and parishioners who have taken care of the parish in my absence. I pray for health for my loved ones  and for strength in their battles with cancer. I offer prayers of love and support for those of you who take the time to read my daily ramblings. May Christ bring you peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment