Monday, October 6, 2014

I think we now know most of the backroads of Holmes County, Ohio fairly well. We traveled them quite extensively today. We started out our morning by going to a really nice Amish restaurant for a great meal. We are surprised though at the actual lack of places like that at which to eat. In most of the Amish areas in which we have traveled, good Amish cooking was always abundant. Holmes County, Ohio has the largest Amish settlement in the country, however, I think most of the places are Mennonite run here and the Amish seem to stay much more to themselves.

Our day started with sunshine so we were glad to get out and tour the area. We saw lots of beautiful farms and lots of horse and buggys going down the road, as well as many folks walking to where ever they needed to go. This area is really hilly and I feel for the poor horses that have to pull thoses buggies. Another thing we don't see as many of here, --- is people on bicycles. Like any other culture, things are just regional I guess.

By afternoon, we had rain and lots of it. So, we basically stayed around the cabin, took a nap, and talked and visited with each other. The rain finally tapered off around 5:30 this afternoon. Ms. Kate accused me of making a special deal with God to have it rain until the store and shops all closed. We went to a different, (dare I say, "the other" ) Amish restaurant for supper. I'd rate the food as "adequate". After all, any Amish restaurant that doesn't include dessert as part of the buffet is going to only get an "adequate" rating from me. What were they thinking??

Tomorrow I think we are going to start hitting a few of the shops. Ms. Kate wants to go to a quilt shop, assuming we find one. There are a lot of antique shops here. My sister and brother-in-law would love it. As for me, I don't mind looking at some of the stuff, but I have zero reason to open my wallet for any of it. As far as we have seen, most of the "shops" either deal in furniture, antiques, or cheese. Maybe we'll find out differently tomorrow. I did see a couple of bakery shops, so there is hope yet! We need to shop early though because it is supposed to rain again tomorrow. Yuk!

I must close with my prayers for the night. I am thankful that Ms. Kate and I have the opportunity to travel like we do. I'm thankful for the protection God has provided us as we have crossed this country from top to bottom and coast to coast so many times. I'm grateful to live in a country where such travel is possible without border check points and visa requirements. This is a wonderful country; far from perfect; but absolutely beautiful and wonderful.

I also lift up Sheila and Byron once again. They and their daughter and son in law have been planning and working for months now to build a retirement home next to the kids. Unfortunately, it all fell apart due to zoning laws and beaurocratic "stuff". So my prayers of support go out to them as they re-group and try and determine what is feasible and what might be in God's plan for them. I pray for their patience. I also pray foor my childhood friend, Ron, who lost his wife this week. May God lift him up and give him strength, and may The Lord Jesus comfort his soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment