Saturday, October 11, 2014

Saturday, Saturday, Saturday; the weekend is finally here for all those Monday through Friday folks. For me though, this is just another work day today. Taking a vacation from mid- week to mid-week really messes up my schedule and my thinking. We came home Wednesday evening and first thing on Thursday morning my cell phone and home phone was ringing to let me know that one of our senior parishioners had passed away in her sleep. So today will be her funeral. She was a sweet lady.  May God rest her soul.

Yesterday morning first thing, Ms. Kate and I went to the funeral of our friend Sandy. It was a very well done funeral. Each of her three children spoke as did Ron, her husband. They did exceptionally well. I have seen so many people try to do that and they get so overcome with their grief that they end up not being able to say what they wanted to say. But Ron and the kids kept it lght and actually celebrated Sandy's life. I pray God will give them peace in their hearts and minds as they adjust to a life without Sandy.

My world outside this morning is cool at 51° and a blanket of clouds is keeping out the sunshine. The rain has passed for now and I am hoping has passed for the day. I hate to conduct funerals in the rain or on cold snowy days. It makes the whole thing so much more dreary. Perhaps by this afternoon the sun will even pop out. That would be a blessing because it would match the personality of Ms. Velma, the lady for whom I am conducting the ceremony.

Speaking of the brighter side, --- my world is full of Cardinals this morning and that always brightens my day. So thank you very much God, for sending in the "red squad" to flit and flutter and cheep and fuss at one another; and to lighten up an otherwise cloudy day. I also have a couple of Downy Woodpeckers coming in and out to eat from one of their bark butter feeders. There are a couple of squirrels off in the neighbors trees but not here. And --- I have my ever present Carolina Wren out there. I absolutely love watching the wrens. They always seem to spend a lot of time in and out of our flower pots and potted plants. I don't know what that is all about. I'm also noticing that we are beginning to see several more Chickadees. I love their song. It is, to me at least, the official song of winter.

The smells coming from the kitchen tells me that Ms. Kate has already baked a cake or something of that nature for the bereavement meal this afternoon. Nothing makes a house smell more like a home than fresh baked goods. It is the oder of love in the air. With that, I will give my thanks this morning for the peace in my soul that comes from the constant love of my family and my relationship with God. Surrendering your life to God's plan and will, just makes life so very much easier. I hope your day will be a day of peace and love too.

No comments:

Post a Comment