Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The coffee sure tastes good this morning on a chilly 46° morning. I don't know what the temperature is here in the sun porch but it is certainly a lot warmer than that. I've not put a thermometer out here. Maybe I need to pick a cheap one up somewhere. Come to think of it, I don't know when I last saw one of those little cheap wall thermometers other than in an antique store. I may need to stop at Menards or Rural King today while I'm out and about.

The sun is shing brightly this morning. I don't see a cloud anywhere. The rain and gusts of wind did bring down a lot more leaves but nothing that a quick trip with the lawn mower can't fix. We are at least a week away from the last of the leaf fall in this yard.

It is small bird time at the feeders right now. Lots and lots of Finches are picking out their sunflower seeds and their thistle seeds. The small Downy Woodpeckers have also been coming in and out. It will be another fifteen minutes until the Cardinals, Doves, and other larger birds will get here. Sunday we start Daylight Saving Time and that will change what I see when I come out here because I will be an hour later by sunlght time. I'm not sure why we hold on to that tradition of changing our clocks twice a year. There was a time some fifty or sixty years ago when it made sense, but not any longer.

Today's agenda includes doing parishioner visits in two different towns, going to the churches and running the bulletins and the monthly newsletter, and staying for choir practice. It will be a long day. Tomorrow I will be in class all day. Some weeks are just one thing after another. But, we all have those weeks don't we? Luckily, I have my sermons done for the next two Sundays. However I'm not really pleased with the one for the 9th of November, which is Veteran's Day weekend. I think it needs a lot of attention and rewrite. So, there you go; I'm making more work for myself.

I can't quit today without mentioning once again the importance of giving God praise for all that I see and have. A Cardinal sits there on a feeder, maybe five yards from my chair. The sun has made its red feathers almost glisten in the sunlight. What a beautiful creature God made there. And, you know, --- each one of us can be like that Cardinal. We can simply go about our daily business, doing what God intends us to do to the best of our ability, and we we never know when we may be used by God to be an inspiration to someone. We just might be the one that the Light of God shines off of and brings someone to a decision to stop and pray. A simple Red Bird did that for me today. Imagine what God can do with you and me. Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment