Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I have a very happy Wren this morning. Last evening I put out a fresh seed cylinder in the "caged" feeder. This feeder is designed to keep the squirrels out and it does a fairly good job. The wire cage is opened enough for the smaller birds to get in but it keeps out the larger birds like Grackels, Cardinals, Blue Jays, etc. The new seed cylinder is composed mainly of nuts and seeds and my Wren is all over it like it just doesn't know where to start. For awhile the squirrels had learned to hang on it and pull the cylinder to one side from the bottom so they could eat it. But, I put a plate under the cylinder holder and that stopped that. It is amazing what I have to think up just to prove I'm smarter than a squirrel.

It was 41° this morning outside when I came out into the sunporch. Our sunporch, while fully enclosedm isn't heated. We keep the sliding door going out here closed or mostly closed when we aren't out here to keep our heat and air conditioning bill down. So, it is pretty cool out here in the mornings like today, but it is still warm enough to protect the potted plants. So, Ms. Kate made a couple of "throw over" covers for us to cover with. It does make it very comfortable. Coming out here on a cool morning with my cup of coffee and snuggling under my cover in my recliner is a perfect recipe for dozing back off to sleep. It has been known to happen.

I finished the first of the two sermons I was working on last night. Now, I need to put my thoughts together and work on the next one. But, it is too nice of a day to stick myself in he office. Today's high temp is to be only 61° but I have enough moving around doing yard work that I doubt I will feel cool. The sermon will have to wait until "second shift". I started working on stuff for Advent services last night too. November 29th is I believe the first Sunday of Advent and in terms of planning, isn't that far off.

This afternoon we need to go make a home visit for a friend from church. She just got home from the hospital and Ms. Kate wants to drop off some of the chicken noodle soup that she made. And, -- we also need to go to another parishioner's house because Ms. Kate want to raid their turnip patch. She does love her fresh turnips, and Bob raises some of the best around. Then, it will be time for choir practice. We are working on the Christmas Cantata. It is going fairly well so far, but is a long, long way from ready to present.

My coffee cup is empty and my birds are apparently full for now because they have come and gone. They will come in for a second round in about 30 minutes. This is a day that the Lord has made, take time to rejoice in it. Count your blessings and share your love. God has given you another day in which to do good for somebody. Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment