Tuesday, May 18, 2021

 Tuesday and rain. That’s not a fun way to start the day. Actually the rain has been so light that not even all of the sidewalk is wet, just sprinkles on and off. Where the tree hangs over the sidewalk, it isn’t even wet. I’ll need to probably mix up some Miracle Gro in a bucket and water my garden plants. It is supposed to slow down any rain and then it is supposed to turn to summer heat. I guess it is about time, 

I had a long talk with a friend last night who is a fellow lay minister. He’s been at his church as long as I have been at mine. His church just voted on Sunday to leave our denomination. That is happening quite a bit in our small rural churches. The denomination has gotten so liberal and many of us feel that it is straying away from the Gospel. I hate that for him, and I hate that they congregation feels that the denomination has left them. But, I understand exactly where they are coming from. I’m not sure what he is going to do and how it all plays out legally. His church council “called him” to be their pastor as a new church so I know he can perform the sacraments, marry and bury. There is an organization called the Evangelical Association of Reformed, Congregational Churches (EARCC) that has formed for churches to associate themselves with. Churches from several denominations that are dissatisfied with their denomination are joining together under this group. Frankly I can see where my parish would fit right in with them because we too are a conservative parish and are falling out of the mainstream of the times. But, I won’t suggest to either church that we leave the denomination. They need to decide on their own. The worst thing that could happen for me is that one of my churches would decide to leave and the other would decide to stay. I would have to decide between the churches and I never want to have to do that. I love both of these churches and their congregations. So, I pray for my friend and I pray for his congregations. They have a few tough hurdles to jump before it is all said and done. 

We have the laundry going today and I think it is about time to go to the store for some groceries and to Office Depot for Ms. Kate to get something that she needs for her card making. Have a blessed day. Take advantage of the sunshine. Peace. 









No comments:

Post a Comment