Monday, January 14, 2019

The snow came, the snow is gone, except for a few very sad looking snowmen that have yet to completely melt. Even the snow I moved out of my driveway with the John Deere is gone. I debated and debated over clearing the driveway simply because the weather forecasters had said that it was going to rain and wash it all away before the day was over. But -- the desire to play on my JD won out and I went out there. It might have taken me  eleven or twelve minutes to get the job done but it was an enjoyable eleven or twelve minutes. I think we are forecasted to maybe have another dusting of snow this week.

The worship service went well yesterday and we had seventy-three in church. That is about average any more. We have at least a half dozen "snow-birds" that are gone for awhile or the attendance would be a little higher. Plus Ms. Kate still hasn't returned to church bcause of her cough. Next Sunday Pastor Art will be talking about Ecumenical Sunday and also about Martin Luther King. He has asked for us to sing some Negro Spirituals as a tribute. The Choir will be singing "Down To the River to Pray". I really like that song and the choir does a good job of it.

As I knew I would, I re-read my sermon for the 27th and I don't really like it. It says things that I want to say but it sounds "angry" and that is not my intention. So, I'm deleting parts of it and re-writing it and going from a different approach that I think will be be much more palatable to the congregation. We had a Sunday school lesson yesterday that fits well with the point I trying trying to make wth my sermon. So, I'll use the scripture taken from the Book of James as a background for my sermon. That will make my point without me pounding on the pulpit. I think we have a congregation that is a good mix of fairly conservative and also fairly liberal. We don't have any extremist on either side of the aisle. The good thing about the congregation is that we can discuss topics prayerfully and that is so important. It wasn't always so here though. "Back-in-the-day" we were very much more traditionalist and conservative. Of course, back then were a church full of German farmers and what we might call "stiff -collar" people. I think it is good that we have "mellowed" out some and have relaxed with our faith. However, there is a big difference between being "relaxed in your faith" and being "lax  with your faith."

Pastor Art and I are hoping the council will provide an update on the pastoral search tonight at the council meeting. I am working on a drama for Maundy Thursday and I don't want to get too far into writing something that will never be used. And frankly, not only do we need to know for our planning purposes; ---- we're nosey!!!!!  Okay, I've admitted it. .

Tomorrow, I have to go for some neurological testing on my arm. I'm not l;ooking forward to that. The instructions say that I will experience "some discomfort, but most people tolerate it well". What that says to me is "it's gonna' hurt"! But, maybe they can find out why my arm goes to sleep so easily. So, bring on "the discomfort". But, I may not be writing tomorrow.

That's it for this first day of the week. I pray that you will have a blessed week full of God's blessings. Peace, my friends. God loves you and so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment