Monday, January 21, 2019

I posted a picture of the starlings at the feeders hanging in the Pussy Willow tree out the back door this morning. They look like a scene out of a horror movie. But that happens anytime we have snow on the ground. They flock and fight and fuss and peck at one another; meanwhile the cardinal sits stately over on another feeder waiting patiently for them to move on. When the starlings are here the cardinals generally just go to the “gazebo” feeder that is filled with safflower seed. For whatever reason the starlings don’t like it but the cardinals really do. The junkos, Downy Woodpeckers, wrens, finches, and a blue jay are all feeding or trying to. But it will be the starlings that will empty the Bark Butter bits feeder.

Our winter storm came through and the residual is still with us through bitterly cold temperatures and a couple of inches of snow. It is seventeen degrees this morning and the electric birdbath is a popular spot as the only unfrozen source of water. I would normally be at the church office this morning but first of all it is a holiday and secondly, the churrch parking lot is not fit to walk on. We didn’t have church yesterday or did anyone else that I know of. The streets were dangerous to drive on. The snow-storm was quick going through and I call it the blizzard that wasn’t, at least at our house. We have maybe two inches of snow on the ground but it was preceded by a day of rain, then sleet, then about five hours of 20-30 mph of driving snow. But, I was able to get out first thing yesterday morning and clear my driveway and the street with the John Deere. I also cleared off Theresa and Jeff’s driveway. Dan and Minh are gone to Virginia so I didn’t bother with his. Dereck, who lives next door to the south drives a county truck during weather like this and he made a pass through our street Saturday evening after the snow stopped. That made a huge difference in my ability to finish up the street with my blade.

Ms. Kate’s cough and bronchitis seems much better today. The medicine seems to be working on her. I’m very relieved at that. I just wish she had gone to the doctor sooner. he needs to go back to the doctor for bloodwork tomorrow to make sure the steroids aren’t messing with her blood thinner medicine. She takes so many different medicines that is hard to find medicine that that dosn’t counteract something else that she is taking.

That is about it for today. I’ve ben sitting here watching the birds and the starlings don’t seem to be in any hurry to leave. It has been a George Strait morning on the Bose player. I generally have some southern gospel going when I’m out here but today I’m toe-tapping to a different rhythm. But now, it is time to go down to my office in the basement do some computer work. I pray you will have a great week full of warm thoughts and love for your fellowman. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment