Saturday, October 20, 2018

Windy, bright and beautiful are the watch words for the morning. It is fifty degrees this morning and it may climb another ten degrees yet today but that will be about it. The big story is that this afternoon a cold front is to blow in with steady thirty mile an hour winds gusting to forty. That isn’t a good time to be riding a motorcycle, or be in a bass boat out in the middle of a lake. I’ve been there, done that and it wasn’t fun. Ms. Kate and I went on a canoeing adventure on the Colorado River right below the Hoover Dam one time. We were told that the river at that point was usually as “smooth as glass”. We went with a bunch of other folks from Nellis Air Force Base. We got out in our canoes and the wind picked up to the point that we were barely able to paddle across the river. We would stroke like crazy, and if we stopped, we would eat blown right back to where we started. All of the other folks ended up turning over but we made it safely across because we knew how to stay low during the gusts. We finally made it across safely but then they sent a recuse boat for all of us and we had to get in the river anyway to swim out to the rescue boat. What a mess.

We also had our experience with the wind and our motorcycle. We were living on March Air Force Base in Riverside, CA and we’re going to ride our motorcycle across the desert to Las Vegas. The wind was so strong that we didn’t go more than about twenty-five miles and we turned around and went back home. Had we gone further, we would have run in to wind that was already blowing over semi-trucks. That was one of the last trips that we took. I admit that I let that experience “psych me out” and I never really enjoyed riding my motorcycle again. What a shame.

Lots of cardinals at the feeders in the Back Yard Buffet this morning. I also have my usual woodpeckers and finches and wrens. So far, the fuzzy-tailed rats haven’t come in for breakfast, — in fact I didn’t see but one around here yesterday at all. They are fun to watch sometimes but they really empty a feeder in a hurry. So, — they can go elsewhere to eat and it won’t bother me at all.

It rained most of the fternoon yesterday and we never did get out to the grocery store; nor did I get much of anything done. I reckon today I need to be a bit more industrious, but frilly sitting here having my coffee and watching the cardinals and other guests at the buffet is as energetic as I want to be right now.

Last night the drawing for the “Mega-millions” lottery was held and no one won it again. It has now reached one billion dollars and by the next drawing it should be a billion and a half. That is insane. I would have zero idea where to even start if I won something like that. For sure every person that ever heard your name would suddenly become your best friend and every charity organization in the world would be hounding you for donations. I think it would be an absolute nightmare. Of course the first thing that would happen is that the government would take half of it for taxes. So, you billion and a half suddenly becomes $750 million before you touch the check. But — with good investment people and lawyers, a person could do an awful lot of good in this world with money like that. I’ve heard people say that if they won that kind of money it wouldn’t change them a bit. But it would. I may buy a ticket just for the fun of it, but with the odds of winning at 1in 250 million I won’t be holding my breath. But who knows. It only takes one ticket. LOL

That’s enough for this morning. Have a most enjoyable weekend. Go to your house of worship this weekend and give praise to God who gave you life and then covered you in blessings. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment