Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The month marches on doesn't it? It is the 9th of August and it certainly feels like the ninth of August if you step outside. It's hot, humid and muggy if you try to do too much of anything. I feel for folks that have to be out in this weather whether it is for work or something else. I think back to many years ago when I spent a summer helping a buddy of mine roof a couple of houses in this kind of weather. It wasn't pleasant at all.

The big news around our city of Evansville is that a young nineteen year old girl (Lilly King) from here won a gold medal at the Olympics last night. It's very exciting for the city and the state. She has a chance to medal two more times but this race was her strong event. Who knows??? Ms. Kate and are bleary-eyed this morning because we were up watching the Olympics late last night. I finally went to bed at 0130 this morning and she came to bed at 0200. Then we were up at 0730. We haven't accomplished much so far today beyond playing our silly computer games and having breakfast of coffee and a banana and a bowl of cereal for me.

I got some good work done yesterday in the office. I had been working on a sermon for the 21st of August and it had just set there with nothing coming to me to write. Yesterday it clicked and I got it written and I think it will be a good one. What I didn't get done yesterday was filling up the bird feeders. There is, of course, plenty of food out there but the feeders closes to the house are pretty well empty. So, at some point today I need to do that. I also need to fill up the bird baths again. When the heat index is 108 like it will be today, they splash out a lot of water taking cooling baths and they also drink a lot.

I called my sister-in-law this morning to see if I need to mow her yard this week or not due to her feeling under the weather. But, she said she mowed part of it yesterday, is resting today, and will finish it tomorow. Shoot, I was hoping to get to use her mower again. But, she said it hadn't gotten tall and was easy to mow this time. I guess I'll just have to settle for mowing mine and maybe Dan's. I wouldn't want to do that for a living but I do love riding my mowers. I'm just a kid at heart.

I saw an advertisement yesterday about the annual buffalo roundup in Custer State Park. That is an item on my "bucket list" to go and watch. Every fall they round up approximately1200 buffalo, check them out and vaccinate them and cull out "X" number of them for sale. The advertisement was from a travel company offering a seven day trip for $1500.00 a person based upon double occupancy. I wouldn't want to do the bus trip, but now I know how to find out when the round up occurs. Next year I plan to be there for it. See, I'm not just a kid at heart --- I'm still a cowboy kid at heart.

It's time to finish my cup of coffee and get on with my day. I hope your day is full of blessings. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment