Monday, August 31, 2020

 Wow! It is the last day of August 2020. A couple of things come to mind; first of all were he alive, my dad dad would have been 106 years old. My mother would have been 103. They were both born in August. Secondly, this year is slipping away and Christmas is only a little over 100 days away and then it will be 2021. Time is flying by isn’t it despite the fact that we are all still hiding from the CORONA Virus. 

This morning I have been calculating the cost of putting in a new raised bed and then I have to decided if it is worth the cost and the work. I’m looking at having to buy; (20) 2 cu.ft. Bags of garden soil, (2) 1 cu.ft. Bags of composted manure, (1) 3 cu.ft. Package of sphagnum peat moss, (12) concrete raised bed blocks, & (5) 2x12x8 pine boards. Current pricing brings the price in at almost $300.00. That’s a chunk of change and I don’t know that it is cost effective. And it may not be cost effective, but —- I’ll be planting some garden anyway so a raised bed will keep me from bending over so much. Right now none of the stores have any fall sales going on for that kind of stuff and I can’t build it yet until my tomatoes are out of the way. But, it is time to start the planning and thinking about it. I’m hoping that by the time I get back from our North Carolina vacation that maybe Lowes or even the local nursery will be having some sales going on. By then the area will be ready to clear off and I can put it together. It’s gonna be a hard days work but hopefully come spring and I can plant my early veggies, it will be worth it. If I time it right, maybe my son-in-law Jim can come over and help me. Those bags of dirt do get heavy. But, it keeps me thinking I’m still young. 

We ar supposed to have more rain again today. If we do, I guess I will maybe start on my September 27th sermon. No use wasting time. That would just put me one more week ahead of the curve. Right now it is really cloudy out there and the air is not stirring any. I Have a few guests at the Backyard Buffet.  Mostly I have wrens this morning and a few finches. I have not had many of my nemeses birds, the blackbirds and starlings. I think they have moved out into the fields for the beginning of the harvest. I hope I haven’t jinxed it by saying so. I’m still thinking about buying a squirrel baffel for the one feeders that they have forever climbed on. Wild Birds has a twenty % off for them. 

We had good attendance at the churches yesterday and I was so glad to hear them announce at St. Lucas that they are going to start Sunday school again for adults and kids. Ms. Kate and I were talking about that on the way to church yesterday, hoping they would start back. I’m also considering starting a Wednesday Bible study. I now we wouldn’t get a lot of people but it might fill a need for some folks. I have a couple of sets of Sunday school books from Zoar that I would like to use. It is time that we started being timid and start Ewing the church again. 

That’s all for today. I hope you have started your brand new week off with a prayer. God will walk with you every step of the way and every minute of the day. Share your love and share your blessings. Peace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment