Monday, May 28, 2018

I don’t know that it is appropriate to say “Happy Memorial Day” considering why we celebrate the occasion, so I’ll just say Good Morning on this Memorial Day. Were this twenty years ago I would have given my summer safety briefing to all of my troops to include remaining them that they are “required” to take care of them selves which would even mean not getting sunburned to the point of not being able to work. Then of course the required no drinking and driving speech. I’m quite sure commanders and senior enlisted advisors are sill giving that same speech. It is a “cover your butt” speech so that if they do get into trouble, they can’t say they weren’t warned or reminded. 

We’ve had a good weekend. Julie, Jim and the pups are down but will be leaving around 10:00 this morning. She has an appointment to get Auggie groomed at 1330 hrs Eastern Time Zone and they have an hour and a half drive back home. Hopefully the traffic won’t be too bad yet. 

The wedding I had to do on Saturday went very well. The rain held of so the ceremony could be held outside and it was a lovely setting. They had anticipated about 75-80 people there but in actuality there were only about forty. 

Yesterday I preached the Sunday service and again we were able to have it outside. The weather was perfect. We had a lot of our folks out camping in Harmony State Park so I figured that the attendance would be slim. However, I had about twenty five visitors show up to hear me preach so that filled in a lot of folks and we ended up having 62 total in church. It was a great day.  

I have all of my bird feeders filled here in the Backyard Buffet but I don’t have a lot of takers this morning. I’ve had a Robin come by a couple of times and take a bath and I’ve had a cardinal or two at the feeders but that is about all. I am glad to report that the hummingbird was back yesterday. I’m glad to see that. I was afraid that they had moved on to someone else’s yard. 

I don’t know what else we might want to do today after the kids leave; probably not a lot of anything. It looks like a good day to just relax and enjoy being alive and being thankful for those that have given their lives to keep this country a free nation. That’s waht the day is really all about — not having picnics and drinking too much. I hope your Memorial Day is used to bring back memories of loved ones from your personal past who have helped shape your life. Take time to stop and be grateful for them. Have a wonderful day. Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment