Friday, February 16, 2018

Good morning once again on a rainy, forty-three degree morning. My AccuWeather app tells me that it will rain for another hour and a half. It isn’t a torrential rain so that isn’t all bad. In fact the robins are running around in the yard snatching up worms as they come up to the surface. One squirrel has ventured out already to eat. Maybe it is just now getting home from a late night at the squirrel bar or something. A couple of the cardinals are also out as are the goldfinches. So, I don’t have an abundance of guests at the buffet just yet. I suspect when the rain stops, the buffet will become busier.  The feeders are still about 95% full so I don’t need to go refill anything this morning.

The school bus just went by picking up all of the kids. The Friday garbage collection trucks are also out and about in the neighborhood. It isn’t exactly quiet around here just yet with the clanging of the garbage truck and the squeal of their brakes. But, within a half an hour all of that will have ceased and then all I will have is the gentle steady patter of rain on the roof and the occasional song from one of my buffet guests. I have a bluebird resting on the curve of the downspout tucked up under the eave staying out of the rain. Between it and the cardinal pair, my morning has been started properly.

Last night I did some more work on my Tenebrae drama that I’m writing. I think I only have three more characters to write for. I think I may have told you that the drama is words from the disciples of Jesus and their thoughts concerning their desertion of Jesus in his hour of need when the soldiers and religious leaders came to arrest him. It is all conjecture of course since none of them actually wrote what they thought; but I’m trying to imagine what might have gone through their minds about the fact they had all run off into the woods and escaped capture, leaving Jesus to face it alone. he hardest part is that we know so very little about the majority of the disciples. The Gospels tell us only bits and pieces of what life may have been like traveling around with Jesus. Jesus spent three years teaching and preaching and yet in reality what is written in the Gospel cover so little of that time. I don’t accept the fact that every important thing Jesus ever said has been captured by the Gospel writers. In the United Church of Christ we say “God Is Still Speaking”. Perhaps some day more scrolls will be unearthed somewhere with more of what Jesus actually said. Of course then the question would be “do we believe it or not?”

Well that was a rabbit trail for you to try to follow today. It’s a rainy day —- you have time. In the mean while, I’ll wish you a day of peace and happiness. Shalomn

No comments:

Post a Comment