Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. Julie and Auggie the dog have arrived as of last evening. She didn't bring the other pup; Jim will bring that one with him when he comes over on Thursday morning. Lisa and Amanda will arrive on Thursday night. So the week slowly marches on.

The temperature has moved up up forty degrees alrady this morning. The day will be mostly cloudy as a front moves in and eventually is supposed to bring about an inch of rain. We can still use it. I hope it is all our of here by Thanksgiving day and I really don't want Lisa and Amanda to have to drive here in rain.

We three are mostly just sitting around with our technology this morning and gabbing and playing let the dog in and out. We are an unambitious group this morning and just enjoying being together and having our coffee. Life is good like that. Ms. Kate mixed up three different kinds of cookie dough yesterday and I think today there will be baking going on. That is going to make the house smell heavenly. She mixed up the Springerlie cookies first. If you have never had them --- they are an anise based cookie from Germany and German heritage. I love them but they are also an acquired taste. They have a slight licorice taste to them and if you do't like licorice you certainly won't like these. My Grandma Heumann used to make them and they were a favorite of my dad. I don't honk my mother ever made them which is just as well because she would have screwed them up anyway. But --- Ms. Kate makes them because I love them. I always say that without Springerlies, there can't be Christmas. You see, I think there was a fourth wiseman on that most holy night --- and he brought Springerlies to Jesus. We don't hear much about him because the Bible was written by people that didn't like Springerlies.

Ms. Kate has also mixed up some special oatmeal crisp cookies that I like. She got that recipe from a sweet lady at church, Ms. Georgia Ann. They are so good. Georgia Ann always brings me a batch at Christmas. Unfortunately, she has cancer now and just shouldn't be doing all that extra work. So, --- Ms. Kate is making her some this year. That is just the kind of sweet lady I am married to.

Lastly, Ms. Kate has the first batch of snickerdoodles mixed up. So, that leaves the peanut butter cookies to mix up and I think she is also going to mix up some fruit loop cookies for the girls. I think Ms. Kate is and has built herself a legacy much as our grandmothers did. It will be a legacy that someday the kids and grandkids will set around and talk about and have fond memories of grandma making this or that. Our kids and grandkids will have the advantage though that they already have Kate's recipes in a cookbook that she put together many years ago for them. That means the family recipes from years back will also survive for decade to came.

Time for me to shower and get this day moving along. I offer up prayers for all of my friends and loved ones this morning. I ask for safe travel for those millions of people that will be driving across country. I ask for those without homes to find someplace for shelter and a place that will provide them nourishment and love. If you can help in that process, I urge to you to do so. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment