Friday, November 27, 2015

Some may call this Black Friday, and I guess if I was one of those people who think it totally appropriate and "fun" to push and shove people out of the way to save a few dollars on something that I didn't need yesterday but can't live without today --- then I would love the shopping phenomena called Black Friday too. However, while they are doing that --- I'm sitting on the porch of our cabiin, listening to the sound of the Corinthian Chimes gently ringing in a slight breeze, watching for any barges that might come up or down the river, watching the crows and vultures sail overhead across the river, and enjoying the total peace that surrounds me. I am so very glad that we decided to do this for our last week of vacation. It was the perfect way for us to spend Thanksgiving week. It is relatively easy to imagine yourself in the early days of this country as an early settler or native Amercan sitting in this same spot, watching this same river flow by, listening to the peace of God's world.

Yesterday was a relaxing day too. Since we brought most everything prepped or partially prepared it made it a lot less stressful. Ms. Kate's sister, Karen came over to spend the day with us which added to the family atmosphere. Karen's family all had other places to be and things to do so she would have been alone. We are so glad she accepted our invitation. Of course we had way too much food; that goes without saying. We had the usual requirements; turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, hot rolls, cranberry sauce, apple pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate pie and coffee. The only things missing that would have been on our table if we were home were, Oyster dressing, regular dresssing, and sweet potatoe casserole. We didn't need them obviously because we waddled away from the table totally satisfied and happy.

It has been great having the week with Julie and Jim. Jim got here late Wednesday evening. He'll get to stay through Saturday until we all head out on Sunday. Julie's assistant at work just took a new job and Ruwsh is coming up soon at the University, so she is going to really get slammed at work with all of that. She really needed this break to rest up. Ms. Kate and I of course will have extra things to do with the churches from now through Christmas, so this was a perfect relaxation period for us too. I would recommend this place to others and would even consider coming back here again myself. Although, I have my eye set on a certain little cabin by a stream down in Gattlingburg TN for our next just "get away" vacation.

I think I'll grab my Stephen King book I'm reading and read a few chapters. I wish the sun would come out so I could go sit down by the river. It is a bit cool to sit out here for very long because the sky is overcast. Rain is to move in tonight and all day tomorrow. In fact, we'll be having rain through next Tuesday.

So, I again offer up my gratitude to God Almighty for the bounty of blessings in my life. God has truly blessed me and my family. I hope you take time today to count the blessings in your life too. Peace!!

No comments:

Post a Comment