Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Beautiful blue sky and crisp air greet us again this morning. I was up early this morning again, just past sunrise actually, and came out to the sun porch to see who else was up early today. Mr. calico cat was up and aware because it took off in an instant when it saw me. It didn't take long after that for the cardinals to begin coming in. Then came in a couple of red headed woodpeckers and downy woodpeckers. As I sit here now I have at least eight cardinals sitting around and a few junkos are zipping around on the ground grabbing something to eat. God sure does provide good entertainment for me every morning to start my day.

It is veteran's day and Facebook is full of posts of "thank you for your service" from all around the country. As a veteran I am happy to see those comments and I' suspect most veterans today will feel a sense of pride and appreciation for the recognition. But if I may be allowed to go on a bit of a tangent; let me begin by saying that very few of us who have served, whether it was one tour or made it a career, very few of us went and served for the accolades.

I just read this morning that only 7% of the people of this nation have worn a military service uniform. That's 7% who have stepped up to protect 100% of us. We each joined the military for various reasons individually, but for the vast majority, we did it as a sense of national pride and a self expectation and sense of duty to a nation that was the greatest nation on earth. I can't think of a day in my thirty two year career in the Air Force that I wasn't proud of who I was; or wasn't proud of my branch of the service; or wasn't proud to be a member of the armed forces of the United States of America. I have been retired from the Air Force for fourteen years now and I am still so proud of the young men and women who are stepping up too serve. But --- we are and have raised a new generation of people in this country that no longer feel the need to serve their country. They feel they are entitled to freedom without working for it. They have been protected by overshadowing and "helicopter-parents" and been shielded so that they don't get their feeling hurt. Well, I have to admit that getting your legs and arms blown off by an IED will hurt your feelings! But I give thanks that we still do have young people that do recognize a sense of duty to serve their country instead of constantly demanding to be served. President John Kennedy said it right; "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." Far too many people have forgotten that.

I lift up prayers of gratitude this morning to God that I live in a country founded on Christian beliefs and an expectation to live free from tyranny. I also lift up prayers for safe passage for all of our young men and women in the military and their families who sacrifice so very much in order that this country can remain free. But, I also pray that the people of this nation will wake up from their sense of self indulgence and entitlement and look around them and see the work that needs to be done to make this nation great once again. Quit standing around shouting and protesting about life and pick up a hammer and help build a house for someone who lost theirs. Protest by working in a shelter. Protest by serving others and helping others. There is so very much work to do because as trite as it is to say --- Freedom is not free. Have a blessed day; thank you for reading my blog. Peace!


No comments:

Post a Comment