Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Is it really Wednesday already again? Didn't we just have one of those? We get so busy and the days just roll on by. Things we meant to do and people we meant to call or see get missed because we are spending time looking where we are going and are literally missing where we are. This Friday I'm going to change that a little. Most of my relatives from my side of our family live in southern Illinois, roughly 125 miles from us. I only have one uncle uncle and aunt left, my father's brother Howard and his wife Louise. They were always fun people to be around when I was a kid and then when Ms. Kate and I were youg marrieds. But, except for funerals and an occasional birthday party for my mother which they attended, I haven't seen them but maybe six times in forty years. So, Friday, I have to go over to their town for a business meeting and we are going to visit them. Howard is now 90 years old and Louise is I think, 86. It is time to make time.

Another case in point; my oldest friend in life is moving to Ohio next week, Again, we don't see each other except for maybe once a year and exchange a Christmas card. He only lives on the other side of town and yet --- no time. I just got an email from him inviting us to his house for pizza before he moves. We will go!. The odds are, it will be the last time I see him alive.

Third case in point; I just hard this morning that a young man that worked for me many, many years ago passed away in his sleep last night; he was 50 years old. I had not thought of this youg man for years but had been contacted by another one of my former airmen letting me know that this man was having some real problem in his life  and he thought that maybe if I reached out to him it would help. I did so, and we renewed aquaintances. Suddenly, he is gone.

Life is too damn short to let stuff get in the way of personal relationships with friends and family. It may seem like we have forever but it takes a micro-second for a heart to quit beating and then all you are left with is an "I wish I had." It seems so hard to carve out time --- and so easy to stack up excuses. I don't mean to turn your Wednesday into a downer but I guess I'm preaching to myself this morning and saying to all of us --- "Reach out today." Contact people you love and people you care about. Live life --- don't just hurry through it.

Have a blessed day and fill the rest of your week by sharing the blessings God has bestowed on you. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment