Friday, August 8, 2014

Rain, rain, please stay. We could use you for another day. Yes, it is raining this morning. We got a good half an inch last evening before dark. I haven't checked the guage this morning. But,, the yard and garden and flowers all really needed this.

I filled sixteen feeders yesterday afternoon. Everything was either empty or almost empty. This morning, there has been just a constant flow of birds of every kind coming in for breakfast. It does make for an enjoyable and peaceful scene, although the noisy chirping and cheeping is a bit contrary to the sound of the gentle rain on the roof of the sunporch.

Today my brother in law goes back to the hospital to have his blood re-inserted that they extracted, cleaned, and added the antibodies to. We really hope this works for him and that there are no residual effects from the procedure. Next week they will put a port in his chest to make this procedure go a bit easier for him. His veins kept "blowing" during the extraction process. So, the prayers are running up the  celestial ladder for the both of them.

I lost a friend yesterday afternoon to cancer. He and I were part of a select Air Force police unit called Intelligence and Reconnaissance, aka, the "Red Patch, doing a special job back in the 1968-69 time frame in the Philippines.  There were the thirteen of us originally for about a year before the unit was eventually expanded to forty four. The expansion happened at about the same time as I returned home. So, the first group of us were especially tight. Sadly, time and age are our biggest adversaries these days. I'm honored to have been asked to conduct his graveside service and burial. So, early next week Ms. Kate and I will drive to the Springfield MO area where I and a few of my comrades in arms will send Sully off to the final guardmount. RIP Sully. I'm prayiing this morning for God's comforting hand to rest on his wife Linda as she works for closure.

Uexpected events like Sully's death and funeral are exactly why I try to stay at least a couple of weeks ahead in my sermon and service preparation. Unfortunately I'm not quite at that point which means I need to really get busy these next couple of days. But, the Lord will let happen that which needs to happen.

Another weekend is here. I hope that it will be a relaxing one for you. We are supposed to have rain off an on around here so, if you are in my area, stop and maybe read a book, call a friend, or do something silly. It will make you smile. And, when you smile, --- you let God's blessings and joy and peace flow all the way through your body. Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment