Friday, August 22, 2014

It is a partly sunny, breezy, 80° morning that greets me today. I've only been out long enough to fill the finch feeder but the muggyness of the air was already oppressive. Hello Summer; where have you been all season?

The finch feeder that I just filled is literally smothered in birds. In fact the feeders are all full of my feathered friends this morning. Goldfinches, Housefinches, and Sparrows are busy everywhere fluttering and flitting back and forth to eat. The grass under the feeders is just as full. It makes me wonder if just maybe they are all preparing for an early fall migration. As weird as the weather has been this year, perhaps they sense something that we don't. A beautiful hymn says; "His eye is on the Sparrow ---", so who knows what is going on, besides God?

I also have several other varieties of feathered visitors today. The Wrens are busy as well as several Cardinals, Grackels, Chickadees, Doves, and Downy Woodpeckers. A rather large Hairy Woodpecker came through and gobbeled up a few bites before flying off. I haven't heard or seen Mr. Fuss-a-lot, the Bluejay, yet today nor have the squirrels shown up. Life is good at the buffet on this warm Friday morning.

I think today will be a day of no productivity. Yesterday Ms. Kate and I put up thirty four half-pints of peaches in the freezer. That will make for some fine snacks this winter. Last evening I mowed the front yard and Dan's yard at around dusk. The air was better and the temperature was more tolerable. I'm glad I have headlights on my little John Deere, although that is the first time I have actually used them. It wasn't actually dark when I mowed, but they did help.

Tomorrow I have a Continuing Education class to attend so my "day off" is shot. I'm required to attend at least five classes a year to maintain my standing in the church association. At least there are opportunities to do that locally so I don't have to drive three hours and spend a weekend at the seminary. Given the topic of tomorrow's class, I expect to be neither enlightened nor thrilled with the class. I hope the snacks are good; --- although, what can one expect from an organization that only serves decaf coffee!!!

This morning I continue to lift up my family to the Lord with prayers for good health, successful cancer treatment and safe travels from around the world. I give thanks to God who wathches over all of us and I thank Him for my continous flow of blessings. I also pray for this nation and it's role in the world. I pray that the world can be able to look at us and use us as an example of peace an love and caring for our fellowman. They call America "The land of opportunity"; and it is. But, it isn't the opportunity to be rich; --- but rather the opportunity to be free and live in peace and harmony. May your day be filled with a sense of The love that God has for you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment