Saturday, August 16, 2014

Gosh! It is Saturday morning already isn't it? It is the end of a week that from the Monday end of it appeared to be a bit overwhelming. I knew we had to drive to Missouri to conduct the burial service for my friend; I had pastoral visitation to do and the set up for services for this Sunday. We had to get back from Missouri in time to celebrate my mother's 97th birthday, and we had the normal weekly stuff to do too. Sitting here in my reclner, having my Saturday morning coffee in the sunporch; now the week becomes just a day at a time thing.

 Sometimes we do indeed make mountains out of mole hills. We can declare ourself exhausted or we can count our blessings for the week. For example, look at my week this way: I got to visit with a 101 year old faithful member of our church. Ms. Kate and I had a nice trip in beautiful weather and got to spend time with just us. I got to visit with old friends who I had not seen in several years. I was honored to say the "final goodbye" to a friend who proudly served his country. I helped a grieving widow begin the healing process. Then I came home and helped a 97 year old have a better day by being there for her birthday. And finally, I contributed to the beauty of my neighborhood by mowing my yard and my neighbor's yard and insuring they look nice for the weekend. From that perspective, --- I have had a blessed and wonderful week. Life is good! God is great!

The sun not breaking through the clouds this morning. Predictions are for hot, muggy air with chances for thunderstorms for the next few day and nights. Some rain wouldn't hurt. The garden is about done but the flowers still need water and God does a much better job at that than I do. Maybe God will fill the birdbaths back up too. The Blackbirds and Robins have been busy in them taking baths this morning. They are fun to watch with all of their wing flapping and shaking themselves around. I've had several Downy Woodpeckers of different sizes here this morning, as well as lots of Finches, Sparrows, Chickadees, and Cardinals. Its just another batch of blessings that God has heaped on me.

The psalmist said; "This is a day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it." So, --- that is my plan for today, --- " to be glad in it". I give God thanks for family and friends and good health. I lift up those who are ill and ask for healing and peace. I'm grateful for daily opportunities to make my little speck of the world a bit better than when I found it. I pray for spiritual health for our churches and thank God I have been allowed to serve them. I also pray for you as you read this, and I wish you a blessed and peaceful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment