Wednesday, July 28, 2021

 Another day, another scorcher. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse and then Friday it is supposed to break and the temps drop back to upper 80’s but the humidity is to drop. Maybe we’ll get a little rain. We could use it again. 

Today is Wednesday and usually we would go to the church and run the bulletins but I think we will stay in again today and maybe tomorrow too. There is an ozone warning out for today and tomorrow and that makes it hard to breathe. I can run the bulletins on Friday afternoon. There is no specific day that I need to have them ready as long as they are done on Sunday morning. 

I just read on Facebook that we have a local Olympic Champion. Ms. Jackie Young is a basketball player that grew up playing at Princeton High school. I never saw her play but many folks in my parish know her and say she is just a great all around kid. She has won many awards and plays for Notre Dame I think on a full ride scholarship. The people of Princeton packed their local theater at 0300 this morning to watch live broadcast of the Olympic basketball game where the USA Team took the gold medal. Her humble motto is; “I’m just a kid from Princeton”. I reckon she has a long career waiting for her. 

I had a young Captain that worked for me several years ago who was on the Olympic Bobsled Team for the ‘88 Olympics. I think they won gold that year. He was a good guy but I’ll tell you one thing, when you have someone like that filling a manpower  slot, be prepared for them to be missing a lot. He was my operations officer and I basically had to do it all by myself because you get no replacements or manpower backfill in cases like that. I also had a tennis player that was the #2 seeded tennis player in the Air Force. He was always gone too because the higher officials always were having him out to play when the visiting generals etc wanted to play tennis. 

I got quite a bit of writing done yesterday. I hope to finish up the sermon for the 8th\ today. I also started another writing but I don’t know what I’m going to do with it just yet. It would probably be a good sermon but also would make a good paper or a pamphlet. It is about church membership and the obligations that go with that. It begs the question; “Are you a member or a number on the roles?” I hope to turn it onto something useful. Lot’s of work to do on it yet though. But, if I work hard enough on it, Maybe I can turn it into a small book that won’t be too boring. My thoughts on making it a sermon are that I would be preaching to the choir and the ones that need to hear it won’t be there anyway. Of course, they wouldn’t be reading it either. So —- who knows what I’ll do. 

I guess I better refill the cup and get busy doing something. Stay indoors if you can I already hear a roofer tap, tap, tapping somewhere in the neighborhood this morning. I feel for them. Peace.; 









No comments:

Post a Comment