Friday, January 1, 2021

 Happy New Year and welcome to 2021. It neither looks or feels any different than yesterday except that it i a little warmer today than yesterday. It is currently 41 degrees but the “feels like” temperature is 27. It appears to have rained quite a bit during the night because there is water standing out in the back yard and everything looks like it would be a sloppy walk. 

Did you celebrate last night? We stayed up until around 0100 just watching television and celebrated with a kiss. That’s the best way I can think of to start off a new year. Ms. Kate and I have never been big party people and frankly, they older we get, the fewer  people I want to be around. It’s not that I don’t like people, we just enjoy our solitude and peace. I don’t like loud noises. I don’t like to hear people yelling or arguing. I don’t watch television shows that have that kind of stuff in them, and I don’t like to be around drama. I wonder if I have officially earned the title “Old Fogey” yet. I just like peace in my life. 

I need to call my terminal parishioner today and congratulate him for making 2021. He had really wanted to see Christmas and to see the new year. We even prayed together about it. So, I need to call him and congratulate him and remind him to keep looking forward because there is no telling whaat God has in store for him yet. 

Do you make resolutions for New Years? I used to but haven’t done so in years. I do make goals for a new year. I found that making a resolution was a waste of time because I always broke them within the first week. Things like quitting smoking, or getting in shape were resolutions that were a waste of time. Ms. Kate and I did quit smoking and that was 32 years ago this month. Thank goodness we decided to do that. As an asthmatic, and her as a heart patient, we might both be dead by now if we hadn’t. But, making a goal gives me something to work on. My goal this is year is to find mores ways that I can be of service to my fellowman. I’m not sure what that even means but I know that I don’t do everything I could be doing. My goal is to be more active and less sedentary around the house. I’ve gotten into a bad habit of not doing stuff because I give myself excuses not to do them. I’ve kind of convinced myself that I’m too old to do stuff when in reality, all I would have to do is get off of my duff and put in some effort. Will I be able to do everything I used to?— no, but I’m not as helpless as I’ve let myself become. I think it’s a good goal. But, my most immediate goal is to throw a bagel in the toaster, get out the cream cheese and have my second meal of 2021. My first was bowl of cereal a little after mid-night. 

Have a blessed 2021 my friends. Peace
















No comments:

Post a Comment