Saturday, January 2, 2021

 January 2nd, 2021; or in “military”, 2-1-21. It’s a cold grey morning. It’s 37 degrees outside and unfortunately that is only two degrees below the expected high for today. I have a few guests at the Buffet this morning. I went out and filled a few feeders yesterday afternoon that I didn’t have to walk through the sloppy yard to get to. Unfortunately for the squirrels, I didn’t go out to the shed and get sunflower seed and fill their feeders. Nor did I fill any of the bark butter logs for the woodpeckers. But, I have suet cakes out there for the woodpeckers that they can eat so I’m not too worried about them. But, I think I will bring the logs into the kitchen and fill them. This morning I put some birdseed just out on the ground for the small birds. Each year my Wild Birds Unlimited store gives away small bags of “good luck” seed for the birds. It is a mixture of stuff that I don’t normally buy because the birds waste it out on the ground anyway. It contains a lot of millet and the birds knock it on the ground trying to get to the “good stuff”. But they will eat this. There was some sunflower seed in the mix and I’m surprised that the squirrels haven’t already snagged that out of there. Thee juncos and sparrows will eat most of it. They are avid ground feeders. 

Ms. Kate fixed our New Years “Good Luck” meal yesterday for dinner. It’s not just the birds that get something special. She fixed some black-eyed peas with ham and rice mixed in, some collard greens, and a paan of corn bread. It was good eating. Well, the collards weren’t all that, —- but everything else was good. We don’t eat a lot of collards but once in awhile I let a small bowl. I’ll sometimes order them at Cracker Barrel and that small bowl is just enough to satisfy my tastebuds. I like greens, but prefer spinach.

The squirrels just found the seed on the ground and are picking out the sunflower seed just as I suspected they would. Silly critters. Now I have a battle over territory going on because another squirrel tried to horn in on the pile. 

I got on the bike yesterday and rode seven miles. I’m going to get on it again in a few minutes and ride some more. I set my IPad up on the holder, put on my earphones and just peddle away. I found a new group to listen to yesterday, it is the Baltimore Chapel Choir. There must be about 75 people in that choir and when they sing their praise music it will bring tears to your eyes as it puts you in touch with the Holy Spirit. I love to listen to  great choir singing with their soul and this choir does just that. Check them out on You Tube. If you do check them out, they do a song called “Psalm 34”, listen to that one. 

Okay, time to take a ride to nowhere for a bit. Have a blessed day. Peace. 









No comments:

Post a Comment