Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Wednesday morning and Ms. kate and I are up early early today. We have to be at the church by 0900 hours for our “Senior’s Road Trip”. We are heading down to Mattoon, KY to the Amish area. It is an area I am unfamiliar with so perhaps it will be interesting. Pastor Art was excited about us doing this trip. I know he was hoping to see the Amish farmers out working the land with their horse drawn machinery but I’d really be surprised if we saw that. Planting season is over and the crops are up. If we see anything, it will be horse drawn threshers because the wheat is now being harvested in this area. But, — we will stop at some Amish shops and maybe buy some peanut brittle or perhaps we’ll run across a bakery and can pick up some goodies there.

We plan to have lunch together at a restaurant called The Feedmill. We have eaten there before and were not particularly crazy about the food. Then we also plan to stop at Camp Breckinridge and tour the museum there. It was a WWII prisoner of war camp for captured German soldiers. Some of them were artists and there are supposed to be murals tha the prisoners drew on the walls while they were prisoners. Art says that many of the soldiers requested to stay in this country after the war. This is history that I have not heard before so I will be interested to see this. Why they would bring German prisoners of war all the way to America in the heart of the country is beyond me. But, it is a chance to learn something new. I’ll let you know about this tomorrow. IN the meantime, I must get showered and ready to head out. YOu have a most wonderful day. Share God’s love with someone.


No comments:

Post a Comment