Thursday, June 21, 2018

It is Thursday morning and God has been watering my garden for me. It has been just a light rain but a perfect rain for watering a garden. So, I begin the day by giving thanks to God for another day that starts with blessings. We are supposed to have a couple of rounds of rain today and this afternoon might just bring in some much heavier stuff. It looks like the front from the north and the moisture coming up from the Gulf will meet once again over the Ohio Valley and stall out for a couple of days.

Yesterday I told you that we were going to do a church “field-trip” and we did. There were eighteen of us and we drove down into the Amish area of Kentucky, about sixty miles or so down the road. It was a nice day although some of the places we wanted to se were not open. We did get to one bakery and I picked up a cream-filled coffee cake and just had a piece of it for my breakfast. It was really good. Apparently they had baked the coffee cake and then sliced it in half and put in a layer of marshmallow cream and put the two halves back together. It really almost too sweet. It would set a five year old in motion for three days. But with a little cold milk or some coffee == good stuff.

We stopped at a restaurant called The Feed Mill down in Morganfield, KY. There used to be a place by the same name and owners up here but it went out of business. The food was alright — not great, but alright. Everyone left full and satisfied.

From there we went over to Camp Breckinridge to see the WWII POW museum. I had no idea that there were German War prisoners brought to the United States during that war. I learned yesterday that actually there were only two states in this forty that did not have a POW camp in them during that war. I need to Google that and fact check it. It certainly wasn’t something I learned in History class. The museum had several murals painted on the walls that the prisoners had painted to remind them of home. It was very interesting. These prisoners were from all sorts of countries and nationalities and it appears that while they were several thousand miles from home and were in fact prisoners, hey were treated very well and even received a Ten cents an hour wage for doing work around the camp and for the local farmers. It might not seem like much but in 1942 - 1945, that was a good compensation. When the war was over, they were all sent back home even though many wanted to stay in America. So, if you are in the area of Morganfield, KY and have the time —- stop by and see that little museum.

I got started on my next sermon last night and I hope to do some work on that today. And I need to practice my trumpet for the number I’m going to play in church in August. My other job today is to get the birdfeeders filled. There is still some food out there but not much. I have been very negligent in my backyard buffet duties and must correct that.

I hope your day is full of love and happiness and gratitude for blessings received. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment