Friday, June 22, 2018

Thunderboomers and raindrops greet me this morning as I bring my cup of coffee out to the sunporch. It is only sixty-six degrees on this second morning of actual summer and the “real-feel” is only sixty-two. Were it not for the on and off rain, I’d open up the sunporch and let it air out. But then, if it weren’t for the rain, the. Temperature would be up to about eighty degrees already too. So, I’ll be satisfied with things the way they are and give God thanks for another morning of b;essesings received.

I did get some feeders filled yesterday and have had a few cardinals this morning as well as a few finches. About the time the birds start coming in for a buffet feast it starts raining again and they all head for shelter. Then three to five minutes later it quiets raining. But, the sky is getting a little lighter in the west so maybe these showers will be done for a while. Accuweather says this is the pattern for the day.

Today will be a “shrooms & beer” day with our friends Bob and Brenda. We’re always glad to see them and catch up on news of their families. They are really good people and care so much about others. Bob’s wife, Georgia Ann, has been dead about fourteen months now and we all miss her. Brenda and her mom were best friends. Bob has surprised me that he has adjusted to Georgia Ann’s death as well as he has. He was a “lost pup” for quite awhile. He still misses her terribly but at least he didn’t just “give up” on life like I was afraid he might.

The rain shaowerwas brief again and now the sun has popped in and out a couple of times. The cardinals are back and when the sun shines on the wet plant and tree leaves they all shine as though they have been waxed. It is a beautiful and simple sight but it doesn’t take much to impress me sometimes. I hear a squirrel “barking” up in a trees which tells me there must be a cat out there some place. More than likely it is “Toothless” the neighbor’s black cat trying to sneak through the plants to crouch under a birdfeeder. The BB gun is cocked and ready if I see him.

Ms. Kate and I took yesterday “off”. It’s silly to say you are taking a day off when you are technically retired but that’s what we did. We had a vacation and it was great but them we camehome, got busy around the house “catching up” on stuff  and then Wednesday we had the day-trip with church. We were bot a tad under the weather with different issues so yesterday we basically did nothing but laze around. We always come home from a vacation tired because we seem to think that if we go somewhere for a vacation, we have to do more than just sit in a hotel room. So we really never relax. I admit that my concept of what I would like to do while on vacation is different than what I put into practice. I tell myself how great it would be to just sit and read a book and watch the sun rise and watch the sun set. In reality, I can’t sit still for more than a half an hour and then I begin to pace. That is exactly why there are four novels sitting beside my recliner that I have not finished reading or even started reading on a couple of them. As my daughter Julie says, “Dead is a long time and I’ll rest then”.

That’s it for today. Time to watch squirrel try to climb wet slick poles. Have a fun day. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment