Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Welcome to “frustration Wednesday”. Things have, I think, smoothed out now but I spent the morning with internet problems. The worst thing is that when I do get stuff to work, I never know why. But, since I’m able to write this blog, obviously this blind squirrel found a nut after all. I just think that some day I’m going to push the wrong button and daccidently blow up the world. back in 1983 I was stationed at Hanscom Air Force Base in a Program Office. Ms. Kate had gone to work for the government too and also worked in a program office. One day the Communications Squadron came around and started putting Z-100 computers on all of our desks and we were supposed to use them. We had zero training and only a couple of the folks had ever used a computer and actually had a home computer called a Commadore 64. I let my computer set there for months without touching it. Eventually we were forced to start learning how to use them. But rather than giving us all instruction, they would pick one or two oof the NCO’s to go to a class and they were supposed to come back and instruct us. I never did learn much more than how to use it as a glorified typewriter.

By my next duty station, we had progressed to this new thing called “e-mail” and I loved that. By then the Air Force had decided on a single computer language that we would use too. Prior to that, the different Commands were using different computer programs and they couldn’t talk to one another. It was the world of nine inch “floppy disks” and making sure you “shipped” your computer before you turned it off or it would crash. What a horrible way to learn. But —-  now a days, people hand toddlers  an electronic device just to entertain them. It does make me feel ancient.

It is still colder than a polar bear’s butt out there although the week ahead looks promising. We may get back to our “normal high of forty” and or normal lows of twenty five. But then, it will probably start to snow which is fine. My John Deere is on stand-by. Seventy five percent of the nation is in this deep freeze so I have nothing to complain about. I need to just keep my mind on the blessing that I have; a warm home, a healthy family, and money to pay the electric bill when it comes in next month.

My bird feeders are almost all empty and that means I must get out and fill them today. I also need to take down the Christmas tree today and put that stuff away. I’ve been watching the squirrels this morning going from feeder to feeder and finding nothing. I think they are totally frustrated. (At least they didn’t have to fool with the internet!!!)

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment