Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Holy Moly! My accuweather app says it is -2 degrees with a “feels like” temperature of -41. There is steam coming off of the electric bird bath. At least; (thank you Lord) we don’t have snow and ice to contend with like so many parts of the country do. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see a polar bear walking through the yard. (Okay, yes, I’d be really surprised.)

The birds are all puffed up this morning to keep themselves warm. They look like they are twice their normal size. When they sit they get as low as they can in order to cover their legs and feet.  They are coming with regularity to the electric bird bath and drinking but at least they aren’t taking baths. A couple of starlings took baths yesterday in seven degree weather. I haven’t seen any squirrels out yet this morning but it is a bit early for them. I’m up and writing much earlier than usual this morning for no reason at all except that I woke up early.

The advantage to me getting up early was that I got to witness the moon setting and the sun rising at the same time. What a neat phenomena that was. The moon is full now and tonight we are supposed to have what they call a Super moon. I took a garbage sack out to the trash can late last night and I could easily have read a newspaper by moonlight. I absolutely love celestial events. Maybe when I die God will let me help with celestial events for eternity in this or some other universe. —— Well, it beats the idea of sitting on a cloud plinking on a harp. I don’t know how to play the harp and my singing certainly isn’t heavenly. I’m sure God will have a different job for me.

I wonder how many people have already broken their New Years resolutions. I don’t make resolutions, I just send up prayers for help in correcting my bad habits. The closest I ever came to keeping a resolution was in 1989 when I resolved to quit smoking. In January of 1989 Ms. Kate and I went to a “Quit Smoking through Hypnosis” class and we have neither one touched a cigarette since. That’s been twenty eight years. I can’t imagine what my breathing would be like today if I was in fact still breathing at all. Being an asthmatic is bad enough. I’d most likely be on oxygen by now or dead. It is just another one of those cases in my life where God took the lead and saved me. So, I owe Him my life, body and soul.

Ms. Kate took care of insuring “our luck” would be good for 2018. Yesterday she fixed cooked cabbage with smoked sausage, black-eyed peas, and corn bread. I don’t that any of that really has anything to do with a person’s luck in life but it’s still a good tradition and a great meal.

OK my friends, I’m off of here. Take care of one another and look out for the elderly in these freezing days. Have a blessed day. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment