Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Okay --- where the heck is my sunshine? I was promised warmer temperatures and a sunny day today. Instead, it is cooler (41) and clouds are thick. What a gloomy time of the year. One of the unfortunate things about winter is days like today that are strung together. Thirteen out of the eighteen days of January have been cloudy and have had rain at some point during the day. That is a recipe for depression for many folks; especially the elderly and people who are already disposssed to bouts of depression. It is a fact that areas of the world that have a lot of weather like this have a higher suicide rate than other parts of the world. So, my prayer this morning is that if it suits God, we'd really like a little sunshine today.

I received a call last night from an old friend. I have only seen this person one time since 1975, and that was in I think maybe 2003 or 2004. we became friends when her husband and I worked together at Whirlpool Corporation and they lived the next block down from us. I convinced him to use his GI Bill and go to college like I was doing, and he also joined the AFROTC Program and eventually got his commission. They divorced many years ago, and like I said, I saw her once many years ago when she was working at Walmart here in town. At that time I gave her my business card. To make a long story short, She has breast cancer and is now concerned about her mortality and called me to see if I would do her funeral. After a long discussion, I told her that no one has said that her cancer isn't treatable and while I am no longer a pastor, I would "speak" at her funeral ---- unless I die before she does.

Ms. Kate and I went out for lunch with our friends Bob and Georgia Ann today. They are such dear people and we try to get together with them very month to six weeks depending on the weather. They are fifteen years our senior but we became fast friends through St. Lucas churrch. Our place to go is a tavern out in the country where they make the best deep fried mushrooms in the county. We order a couple of orders of mushrooms, a glass of Amberbach Beer each, and the plate lunch. It is hard to beat country tavern food.

My blog has been sporadic today as we have come and gone and interrupted ourselves by doing other things. But --- I'm happy to report that although it might now be late in the day --- the sun is shining in my eyes as I set out here. And you know what --- I'm not going to move. Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine. I just give thanks for the blessing. And the cardinals like it enough to come on over to the birdbath and take their bath. Just another blessing sent my way.

I hope the remainder of your Wednesday is a good one. Your week is half over and you are on the down side sliding into another weekend. Make the rest of your week a good one filled with the love of God that you share with everyone you meet. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment